Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Newcastle Summer Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
sparkyaber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Newcastle Summer Ale?

I know that many of you here do not care much for newcastle, but it has a special place in my heart, because it was the first non-bmc that I fell in love with. I still enjoy it ice cold on a hot summer night. Recently a friend of mine who is a bartender/bar manager, told me newcastle has come out with a new beer, a summer ale. He said it tastes like a newcastle crossed with a pale ale. I haven't made it to his bar since it small jaunt, and am wondering if anyone here has tried it? Also they have it on tap. Is that the only way it is available?

Carboy#1 Angry Gnome RIS 2012
Carboy#2 Angry Gnome RIS 2012
Carboy#3 Black IPA
Carboy#4 Black IPA
Carboys#5-14 m-t
3 Gallon m-t
Keg#1 Hops in Session
Keg#2 Yoopper's IPA
Kegs #3-12 m-t
Bottled: Holiday Ale, RIS 2011, Chocolate Espresso Porter, Vanilla Porter, Oktoberfest, Mai Bock, Old Vine Zin, Pinot Noir, Chocolate Raspberry Port,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
skadalajara
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'm gonna bump this for ya, just cos Newky Brown is one of my early favorites. Still enjoy it on tap. And they have it in cans at my local beergasm store.
Haven't seen the summer yet, but you can bet yer arse I'll pick up a sixer when I do.

-J

Making the world a bitter place, one IBU at a time.

Axé Cidery and Aleworks

Primary: Social Lubricant
Secondary: Tongue Oil
Lagering: Icy Paralyzer
Bottle conditioning: Liquid Courage
Drinking: Loud Mouth Soup

Old 07-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
KillerKellers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I didn't realize there was a hatred for the beer on this forum.. I, too, have a fondness in my heart for their beer.

If I saw it, I would grab a sixer as well. I will need to keep an eye out for it!

Primary: 10g English Mild, 10g Robust Porter, 10g Skeeter Pee
Keg: Black Cherry Apfelwein, 10g AHS Low Carb Ale, 10g Centennial Blonde, Haus Pale Ale, Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I find that a pint of my own semen makes the best starters.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the original Newcastle is fine, but the summer is an absolute failure. It taste more like a pale ale light than anything, no distinct hop presence at all, and the body is watery rather than refreshing. I don't understand why after all these years of putting out only one beer, that they would branch out with a pallid take on a summer seasonal. Maybe its just me, but I was very disappointed

Old 07-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
sparkyaber
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did make the mecca (well it wasn't that far) to the bar my friend runs and got to try this on Sunday. Yeah, I was not super impressed, but my hopes were so high that the only thing it could do was come in under the bar.
Well, I sat and drank two twenty ounce glasses, and still could not pick out what it resembled. I thought it tasted more like a pilsner than an ale, thin, with not much in the way of hops as stated above.

I will reserve total judgment until I try it again.

Carboy#1 Angry Gnome RIS 2012
Carboy#2 Angry Gnome RIS 2012
Carboy#3 Black IPA
Carboy#4 Black IPA
Carboys#5-14 m-t
3 Gallon m-t
Keg#1 Hops in Session
Keg#2 Yoopper's IPA
Kegs #3-12 m-t
Bottled: Holiday Ale, RIS 2011, Chocolate Espresso Porter, Vanilla Porter, Oktoberfest, Mai Bock, Old Vine Zin, Pinot Noir, Chocolate Raspberry Port,

Old 07-03-2010, 03:05 AM   #6
T6Chris
Recipes 

I'm extremely sorry to hear people aren't fond of my beloved new castle brown ale and this post about the summer ale that has recently come out is the way i found myself to homebrew talk in the first place. I just grabbed a mix n match 6 pack from one of my local favorite bars and saw this summer ale. I have yet to try it tonight but I plan on sitting down and pouring it into a frosty glass tomorrow. My pallet can hardly wait. Chance i may indulge this evening.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:05 AM   #7
BribieG
Recipes 

Maybe just a rehash of a Beer that Newcastle Breweries used to make up till the 1990s, it was a pretty bland affair and apparently was the base beer for Newcastle Brown, a strong brown (not available separately on the market) ale being mixed in with it. Maybe they've just re-released it.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #8
nikon6021
Recipes 

Default About New Castle Summer Ale.

I was not really a New Castle fan in the begining, but it has grown on me in a good way it opened me up to brown ales, I always have been a red ale fan. But not to stray I am really enjoying the summer ale, it is a little bit hoppier, and very smooth drinking beer and great for grilling down here in FL, It is very smooth, All round a very good beer and they have it in bottles. And if anyone finds a good clone recipe please post, would love to make and have on tap.

Thanks

Quick Reply