New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > NEW: worlds strongest beer @ 65% abv from scotland




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #11
Inkdrop
Inkdrop
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Inkdrop's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Longview, Texas
Posts: 61
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default

OK, Brewmeister just released "Snake Venom" the new world record is 67.5% ABV.



__________________
Inkdrop is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #12
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Papamoa, New Zealand
Posts: 3,242
Liked 216 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

What is wrong with those guys - the amount of brand-wank on their beers is just awful! Just makes me think the company is run by a group of marketers and not brewers - I know first a formost a brewery is a bussiness and all but these guys seem to be just targeting the same guys that xmacro talked about with cigars, they are into the fad more than likeling good beer - the type that would look down their nose at an ESB or English Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
you don't.
Bottles are conditioned is different than bottle conditioned
BUt their statement inferes that they are bottle conditioned - and their website says that their beers are naturally carbonated.


mattd2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #13
The542
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Wayne, Pennsylvania
Posts: 702
Liked 193 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 194

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmacro View Post
Ugh, why not just drink some cognac or brandy instead

This reminds me a lot of the Punisher cigar; for those who don't know, the cigar hobby has fads like every hobby. Right now, large cigars with tons of body/nicotine are the "in" thing, so someone came up with the Punisher - the strongest bodied cigar available; it burns your lips even when it's unlit. The thing was made into a powerhouse just for bragging rights, and the occasional idiot who thinks more body = better (ie - hurr durr, Imma man cuz i smoke big cigarz)

So like I said - this beer seems like a gimmick.
Big +1. Novelty nonsense for sure.
__________________

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar Club

The542 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 03:24 AM   #14
amfukuda
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
amfukuda's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 314
Liked 103 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Kinda off topic but at a buddy's house today watching football this guy talkin about his beer said I always look at Abv on the bottle if its high it means its a good beer

__________________
amfukuda is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
Inkdrop
Inkdrop
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Inkdrop's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Longview, Texas
Posts: 61
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I think its an Irish thing. I have an Irish buddy who thinks that way. I got him interested in brewing his own beer. I took him to the lhbs to pick out his first beer kit, and then he picked through all the recipe kits to find the one with the highest ABV potential. He is exactly the kind of guy who would order one of these freeze dried beers.

__________________
Inkdrop is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
moti_mo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 554
Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts

Default

I posted this on one of the other threads about this beer, but this line on their "About Us" page always makes me laugh:

"There are no chemicals in our beer - none at all!"

Truly impressive, Brewmeister...

__________________
moti_mo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #17
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Papamoa, New Zealand
Posts: 3,242
Liked 216 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moti_mo View Post
I posted this on one of the other threads about this beer, but this line on their "About Us" page always makes me laugh:

"There are no chemicals in our beer - none at all!"

Truly impressive, Brewmeister...
I have heard another big brewery making the claim that they only use the pure ingredients for their beer and that they do not add any additives to the beer... the loophole was that they added it to the brewing water so technically they didn't add it to the beer
__________________
My DIY grain mill
First AG mini-BIAB
mattd2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #18
moti_mo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 554
Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
I have heard another big brewery making the claim that they only use the pure ingredients for their beer and that they do not add any additives to the beer... the loophole was that they added it to the brewing water so technically they didn't add it to the beer
My amusement is a little more basic than that. There are loads of chemicals in beer which aren't "additives", and those chemicals make the beer what it is. I'm pretty sure the last time I opened up a general chemistry text book, everything in the beer we make is discussed at length - water, ethanol, esters, phenols, acids, and the list goes on.

I'm a chemist, so maybe I'm sensitive to the statement "There are no chemicals in our beer - none at all!" being ultimately ridiculous. But the tagline for their brewery website says that they are "Beer Scientists", so I feel like its a fair point. Also, perpetuating to the general public that the word "chemicals" should be associated with evil toxic things that should never be associated with a consumable like beer allows people like the "Food Babe" to print nonsense scare pieces that are ultimately baseless.

But back to the main point of the thread - I'm fairly certain this beer taste utterly horrible, regardless...
__________________
moti_mo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #19
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Papamoa, New Zealand
Posts: 3,242
Liked 216 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moti_mo View Post

My amusement is a little more basic than that. There are loads of chemicals in beer which aren't "additives", and those chemicals make the beer what it is. I'm pretty sure the last time I opened up a general chemistry text book, everything in the beer we make is discussed at length - water, ethanol, esters, phenols, acids, and the list goes on.

I'm a chemist, so maybe I'm sensitive to the statement "There are no chemicals in our beer - none at all!" being ultimately ridiculous. But the tagline for their brewery website says that they are "Beer Scientists", so I feel like its a fair point. Also, perpetuating to the general public that the word "chemicals" should be associated with evil toxic things that should never be associated with a consumable like beer allows people like the "Food Babe" to print nonsense scare pieces that are ultimately baseless.

But back to the main point of the thread - I'm fairly certain this beer taste utterly horrible, regardless...
Agree, again just marketing spin that means nothing. Even if they meant "nasty" chemicals how the hell are they making sure the beer does not get infected - QA must surely suffer
The marketing guys say it taste just like beer... I'm sure they wouldn't lie to us


__________________
My DIY grain mill
First AG mini-BIAB
mattd2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worlds Highest ABV Beer BogusOwnz General Beer Discussion 18 04-12-2010 04:45 PM
Strongest beer you brewed? BrooklynBrew General Beer Discussion 16 11-05-2009 12:38 AM
Beer in Edinburgh Scotland, and Dublin Ireland. WorryWort General Beer Discussion 21 07-02-2009 07:13 PM
What is the worlds rarest beer? ctbrewer227 General Beer Discussion 22 02-13-2009 09:44 PM