Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > New science fiction story about homebrewing in space

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Kidchyron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New science fiction story about homebrewing in space

Just got the new (May 2011) issue of Analog magazine, and discovered that one of the new short stories in it, "The Old Man's Best" by Bud Sparhawk, is pretty much all about homebrewing. In it, two working stiffs on a station in Jupiter orbit, missing one comfort of home in particular, have a go at brewing their own beer without alerting their disapproving superiors.

Having just finished reading the story, I think Sparhawk might've made a mistake or two about the process, but he certainly has a lot of the consequences right and he raises some interesting points about how homebrewing would work in that kind of environment. Plus the jury-rigging and conspiracy to keep the brew secret lead to some entertaining hijinks.

The magazine goes for $4.99 or $5.99 on the newsstand (I'm not sure how much exactly, I've been getting it electronically for the last few years). Check it out - apparently we're going to the stars!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2011 Times on 1762 Posts
Likes Given: 1487

Lolz! Fireball XL-5 grows up!! Anyone remember that show from 1962?...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply