I would try to get up to Abita for the tour. It is a nice drive if you take the causeway and the Abita visitor's center at the brewery is real nice. Get their before the tour, they just give you a glass and point you in the direction of the taps. The brewpub is right down the road. It is decent food and has limited release beers on. Good place to go if you 'sampled' a bit too much on the tour.
My favorite places in the city (in order):
1. The Avenue Pub. Not a huge selection, but there will be choices of micro. Great atmosphere, get some mini-tacos.
2. The Bulldog. I really like the patio at the mid-city location. Go on Wednesday, you get to keep the glass. You can get some select Abita beers here.
3. Ms. Mae's . Beer is Abita and BMC, but the crowd/atmosphere is unbeatable. Get a $1 cocktail.
4. Cooter Brown's. Good place to stop if you are in the area.
5. Crescent City Brewhouse. Meh. Get a beer to go if you are planning on walking around downtown.
6. Gordon Biersch. If it is the only place you can convince family to go or something.