Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > New kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
Mongrel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you do downgrade, I wouldn't go smaller than a 15 gallon pot. I rarely do 10 gallon batches, but I love my keggle for 5.5 gallon batches. The previous boil kettle (9.5 gallons) got moved to HLT.

THPTPTH!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #12
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I would not downgrade. A 15 gallon pot is ok for a 10 gallon batch, but 20 is better. A 10 gallon pot is only useful for a 5 gallon batch. You usually need something like 13 gallons of pre-boil wort (depending on your boiloff rate and boil time) to wind up with 10 gallons of wort at the end of the boil.

You may want to do some 10 gallon brews one of these days. So keep that pot. If you really would rather have a 15 gallon pot for your boil kettle, keep the 20 gallon one for you mash tun. With a 15 gallon BK and a 20 gallon MLT, you could mash enough grain for 10 gallon batches of high gravity beer.

I'm using keggles for BK, MLT, and HLT in my 10 gallon brewery right now. The first thing I'll upgrade will be my MLT to a 20 gallon or maybe 25 gallon size so I can brew 10 gallon big beers.

If you are quite certain you'll never want to do 10 gallon batches, then go ahead and downgrade. Then later when you change your mind after all, you can kick yourself in the butt for downgrading.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 12-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #13
malc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Good thoughts here everybody. My personal consumption is not that great, but I brew a lot for different events. This has wiped me out in the past. Definitely something to think about. Thanks everybody.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #14
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Partition it and mash in one half, boil in the other

Old 12-28-2011, 05:42 AM   #15
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Unless there is something else you REALLY need, I would hang on to that pot. No reason to downsize it, as it allows you to be more flexible in the future, as far as size goes. And it still functions just fine for 5 gallon batches. I'm always a fan of getting equipment that will let you be as flexible as possible. There is no downside to this pot, and a huge upside (you can make 10 gallons batches if you ever want to, assuming you have access to an MLT that's big enough).

Old 12-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #16
funkstrman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Keep the 20 gal pot. Look at it this way, the speed limit on the freeway is 65 but there times when you need to go faster. You wouldn't trade your car in for one that tops out at 70 would you?

Bottled- Blue Star Wheat clone, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, BIPA, Chocolate Espresso Stout, Black Hook Porter clone, Ginger Ale, Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen, Peppercorn Rye Boch, Cream of Three Crops
Future- Old Rasputin Imperial Stout Clone

Quick Reply