HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > New homebrew laws in Wisconsin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #11
MrSpiffy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I think the reason for the form is so that they can keep track of who brought what in the case anyone gets sick from a bad brew. It probably won't happen, but they're covering their butts. I can't blame them for trying to avoid lawsuits.

As has been said, right now it's illegal all together. I just started into homebrewing. I can't figure out why this law would be a bad thing, as of yet. It's not overly restricting, nor really broad. And it's obvious in its intent. I say pass it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
Rottnme
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifelee View Post
I would like all those rules be even more broad, but the fact remains that transportation and competitions are illegal right now. At least this law allows it again. You are right that transportation is technically illegal now however the only right we wanted was to be able to legally do what has not been an issue or problem in the past. No more no less.

There is no permit need. They mean the law permits or allows home brewing. Agreed

The 100gal per person or 200 per house hold is standard. Agreed. this has been the law, we are not seeking a change here.

Events only twice per year sucks, but right now it is zero. Agreed but this will put a major damper on current activities. As an active member of two homebrew clubs I cannot imagine the impact that it will have on those clubs as both clubs currently meet, with proprietor permission, on licensed premises. I cannot in my pea sized little brain see how this truly affects anything other than the fact that the major opposing group here is the Wisconsin Tavern League, and THEY managed to get it written in that now they can hold events and profit from the homebrewers' efforts. Money is the major and only driving force of the WTL in this situation. Proof can be had in the fact that their major argument against the original legislation dealt with distilling activities in India.

Homebrew clubs are testifying in favor. I would think you would support this to. We were in favor of the original legislation prior to being influenced by the WTL.
VP - Sun Prairie Wort Hogs
Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #13
fifelee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnme View Post
VP - Sun Prairie Wort Hogs
Great comments. I feel for you guys. I hope someday government is shrunk so small homebrewing is the last thing they have time to bother with. Keep up the fight to get the stupid clauses removed. Hopefully you don't have to decide between a restrictive law and leaving it as is with no events or transportation.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #14
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I hope the AHA is involved. That's what our dues are for.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #15
novafire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
I hope the AHA is involved. That's what our dues are for.
AHA is involved:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/atte...rewers-292578/

Old 02-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #16
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 193 Posts

Obviously by the way the Dept. of Revenue acted prior to the bill being introduced there was a clean plan to make homebrewers chose between no activity and very restricted activity. Sounds like monied interests going out of control.

It's almost entertaining. Whoever is behind the push lobbied the DOR to reinterpret the rules then the legislator can come in and introduce his bill as "relieving" government regulation.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #17
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Please contact Sen Fitzgerald the king leader for this and Gov Walkers sidekick (both are up for Recalls)

Sen.Fitzgerald@legis.wisconsin.gov

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #18
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000
Please contact Sen Fitzgerald the king leader for this and Gov Walkers sidekick (both are up for Recalls)

Sen.Fitzgerald@legis.wisconsin.gov
Grinder. I think you need to get your facts straight. Fitzgerald and walker have nothing to do with senate bill 395.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:16 AM   #19
Scandalous
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Overly Restricting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpiffy View Post
I think the reason for the form is so that they can keep track of who brought what in the case anyone gets sick from a bad brew. It probably won't happen, but they're covering their butts. I can't blame them for trying to avoid lawsuits.

As has been said, right now it's illegal all together. I just started into homebrewing. I can't figure out why this law would be a bad thing, as of yet. It's not overly restricting, nor really broad. And it's obvious in its intent. I say pass it.
So you just started brewing, yet you cant figure out why the law is a bad thing and its not overly restricting.

1. Nobody gets sick from bad beer. Nobody. Too much beer, yeah definitely, but pathogens do not live in beer. Infected beer tastes bad, but it won't make you sick. Now the potato salad or deviled eggs at the summer picnic can give you a serious case of the "I need a doctor bad because I am spewing the entire liquid content of my body out of my behind." Yes... lurking right there, under our noses, and way more dangerous than your beer. Yet no permits for home-made food, no ingredients, no born on date, nothing, but hey maybe the government should regulate that too. I am not poking fun at you on this, but the laughable thing about this is supposedly, the Wisconsin Tavern league, the keepers of the public health, are worried about the health of us "home-makers" of beer and wine and our victims. Which brings me to your next point;
2. Protection from lawsuits. Really, who is suing who and who is doing the protecting? Who is covering "their butts", certainly not the originators of the bill. This amendment is being pushed apparently by the WTL and the Distributors, both with vested interests in you buying their product instead of you getting it on the sly, from a pot in your kitchen.
3. This is Restrictive. Hey, whats the big point right? Well, many club members actually have clubs that meet at public establishments. This has been going on for a lot of clubs for a long time. This ends here. So for my club, bingo! The proprietor of the establishment allows us two events. No more club meetings (than 2). Further, the law guts a long standing tradition of homebrewing competitions. In the good old days, you could win a medal, or a trophy, and sometimes a gift card, t-shirt or even homebrewing gear. Somehow, they are construing that by a homebrewer entering a contest, and maybe winning a prize, is tantamount to receiving compensation, really??? If This may not seem restrictive to you right? But it sure does to me.

The bottom line is that the current law is IMHO, a "blue law". Nobody paid it much attention until the DOR got ahold of it. Even then, they admitted that it's up to the municipalities to enforce these laws (funny, I know cops that homebrew, and transport). They really have better things to do than go looking for us homebrewers sneaking around trying to upset the "3-tiered system". The original bill's scope was to follow the existing federal guidelines (which are less restrictive then what is proposed here), allow us to transport our brew, serve it at fests (for free of course), meet at establishments with the owners consent (kind've like we are doing now) and allow us to organize and take part in homebrewing competition (where you know, you could win, and get a medal, and maybe some swag).

Cheers,

Jeff Scanlan, President
Sun Prairie Wort Hogs
Old 02-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #20
fifelee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Wow what a tangled mess. Are you saying it is better to leave things as is where it is illegal but the locals likely won't enforce? Is that better then a restrictive law that makes things legal? Maybe reject this law hoping the locals don't enforce and go for a better law later?

Didn't I see the AHA is supporting the law? Maybe they supported the original law before the Tavern association added junk?

As the pres of a club what do you suggest? I am out of state but would gladly send some letters.

Quick Reply