The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > New Guinness draught bottle - widget free - SOS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
CaliBrewin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New Guinness draught bottle - widget free - SOS

First off, i just wanted to express how much i LOVE my nitrogen injected Guinness draught.

HOWEVER, these new bottles they are using that are widget-less have killed me a little bit inside. i feel that the pours are always thin, there is always little to no head, very minimal cascading effect if any and ultimately i have found this to be a significantly less "creamier" experience.

i am deeply saddened that Guinness has gone this route with their draught bottles and find it confusing as to how they could let their product go off the shelf in this manner. it looks as if i can now only buy their nitro-pints assuming they havent removed the widget from those as well. otherwise ill only be getting proper pints from the english pub two cities over.

is anyone else at least a little perterbed??

Cheers,

-Zach

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yeah I saw it today at work and your right. The pour is different. The widget bottle pour had a little cascading and a whole lot of head. These widgetless ones have no head and no cascading. The taste is slightly different but most people wont see the difference.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
CaliBrewin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28 View Post
Yeah I saw it today at work and your right. The pour is different. The widget bottle pour had a little cascading and a whole lot of head. These widgetless ones have no head and no cascading. The taste is slightly different but most people wont see the difference.
i fear that you are right. considering most peoples verbal concerns seem to be "wow, thats dark!"

ignorance is piss.

Cheers,

-Zach

Old 03-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #4
MrMeans
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBrewin View Post
i fear that you are right. considering most peoples verbal concerns seem to be "wow, thats dark!"

ignorance is piss.

Recently I was drinking a guiness in a bar and girl asked if I was a DD because I was drinking "soda".

Always do drunk what you said you would do sober.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Popper42
Recipes 

Default The New Guinness Draught

I had just recently bought the new brew Guinness Draught in bottles and what a disapointment. I have been drinking this for quite a while now. I guess for money and profits they had to make a change.
They removed the Widget in the bottle. In turn it has changed the pouring process into the glass it doesnt set up the same also the taste has changed.
I had written to Guinness in Dublin, Ireland and did receive a respose. There comment said that there was no change in the product and we should drink it directly from the bottle. "WRONG". This was made to be enjoyed from a GUINNESS PINT GLASS FROM DUBLIN IRELAND.
They also said the canned Guinness still has the widget in it and will taste the same as the bottle. I will give them the benefit of doubt and give it a try.
I don't really like my beer in a can.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popper42 View Post
Solution:
Quote:
This was made to be enjoyed from a GUINNESS PINT GLASS FROM DUBLIN IRELAND.
But seriously...I stumbled upon this gem the other day...maybe it will help you in grieving the now dead widgit...R.I.P lil' fella.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
febbrewro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I had just recently bought the new brew Guinness Draught in bottles and what a disapointment. I have been drinking this for quite a while now. I guess for money and profits they had to make a change.
They removed the Widget in the bottle. In turn it has changed the pouring process into the glass it doesnt set up the same also the taste has changed.
I had written to Guinness in Dublin, Ireland and did receive a respose. There comment said that there was no change in the product and we should drink it directly from the bottle. "WRONG". This was made to be enjoyed from a GUINNESS PINT GLASS FROM DUBLIN IRELAND.
They also said the canned Guinness still has the widget in it and will taste the same as the bottle. I will give them the benefit of doubt and give it a try.
I don't understand why these company's lie about this stuff. They think they can produce a sub-par product in the name of increased profits, and that they're loyal customers will be none the wiser. Its rather insulting really that they think you'd believe that the bottled version without a widget is the same as the canned with the widget.

If this was truly done to decrease costs, its only a matter of time before the cans lose the widget as well.

May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead. May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
- Irish Toast

Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
mcwilcr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I had a foreign extra stout the other day that did not have a widget in it but it had been so long since I had that particular beer of theirs I didnt remember if it ever had a widget in it or not. Regardless, the beer tasted great but I must say if the guinness drought no longer has a widget, the head on that beer is going to be all wrong.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
screamingcities
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's some info about it...

Irish Math!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
Slurm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know some of us have already told them what we think, but if you haven't done so, here are the e-mail addresses:

Guinness@consumer-care.net (USA specific)
ConsumerInfo.Carefor.GB@Diageo.com (Global HQ)

Quick Reply