Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > New free open source brewing software

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Default New free open source brewing software

Over the past month, I have been developing something I'm calling "Brewtarget" from the ground up under the open source GPL3 license (meaning it has to legally remain free forever). Basically, it was something I hoped would satisfy my own desires. However, it has become the second largest software project that I've created, so now it's on sourceforge. Right now, I'm developing in C++ under Linux, and the GUI uses the Qt libray (which KDE is based on). However, the whole thing should be portable to Macs and Windows.

The reason I made it in the first place was to have it be able to deduce the amounts of grain you need given constraints on the OG, color, etc. So, that is the main goal, but I also want it to be easy to use and have all sorts of good tools. I could really use some help though, especially with the GUI. If you are a good C++ programmer, can document your code well, and know what MVC architecture is (this is a MUST), you should send me a message.

Click here to see/download the project.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 03:34 AM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Can't help you with the coding, but if you need testers, let me know (I run Vista)

Old 01-14-2009, 04:51 AM   #3
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have macs and windows, glad to help test on windows and compile on macs. I've done qt apps on macs before, helped play w/ some dev work on hydrogen for a short while.

~Phil

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 01-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
p4ck37p1mp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmm, as a linux user I'm interested. Been years since I did any C/C++ but I might be able to help (you probably don't want it, one look at my code and you'd puke =P).

-- "Unix is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly."

Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
MikeRobrew
Recipes 

Great idea and thanks for putting your work on SF. QT took a couple hours to install on my macbook pro vai ports. Was able to run the make file, but get this when I try to run it.

Code:
$ ./brewtarget
-bash: ./brewtarget: cannot execute binary file
I know it's probably not ready for the mac, but thought i'd report my findings.

I'd be interested in helping if it were a web app, as I am a LAMP developer, but haven't worked with C++ enough to feel comfortable.

Mike

Old 01-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

From today's Slashdot:

"Qt, the highly polished, well documented, modern GUI toolkit owned by Nokia will be available under the LGPL starting with version 4.5! It was previously only mainly available under the GPL and a commercial license. Selling licenses was an important part of Qt under Trolltech as it was the company's main source of income, but Trolltech is a fruit-fly compared to Nokia, who want to encourage and stimulate the use of Qt Everywhere [PDF]. This is fantastic news for all commercial developers looking to create cross-platform applications without the need to buy a $4950 multi-platform license per developer."

Old 01-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
rocketman768

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRobrew View Post
Great idea and thanks for putting your work on SF. QT took a couple hours to install on my macbook pro vai ports. Was able to run the make file, but get this when I try to run it.
Code:
$ ./brewtarget
-bash: ./brewtarget: cannot execute binary file
I know it's probably not ready for the mac, but thought i'd report my findings.

I'd be interested in helping if it were a web app, as I am a LAMP developer, but haven't worked with C++ enough to feel comfortable.
Hm. Well, I would say that sounds like it didn't actually compile. There is a brewtarget executable in the package, but it is a Linux ELF executable which I don't think will execute on a mac. So, do a "rm brewtarget" then "qmake brewtarget.pro" then "make". Pay attention to any errors after the "make". If it didn't succeed, then you won't have another "brewtarget" file.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

Got it complied on mac too... haven't played w/ it much yet, but I'll post some pics here shortly.

~Phil

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 01-16-2009, 03:07 AM   #9
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

Ok, realized it won't copy to my other mac and run, which means I compiled a shared object binary, rebuilding things statically so it can be used elsewhere

~Phil

Old 01-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
gabeweisz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I do a lot of programming on Windows, and have done a good amount of linux programming in the past. I'm mainly doing windows work now, but would be happy to help with cross compiling and development work.

Quick Reply