Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > New to brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Scrow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to brewing

So I have my first batch of beer in the fermenter, anxiously awaiting the day I can drink it! In the meantime, I am trying some other beers to get a feel for what types of beer I really like.

I have found that I really enjoy (so far):

Sam Adam's Boston Lager
Blue Moon
Mirror Pond Pale Ale

Is it possible to recreate any of these with extracts? I don't want to dive into grain brewing just yet, but would like to try cloning some of my favorites. What type of beer is Blue Moon anyway? And I would imagine that the Sam Adam's has to be "lagered", which means I don't think I have the needed equipment for it. Thanks everyone!

Primary - Kolsch - Started 04/30/09
Primary - Brown Ale - Started 04/30/09

Bottle Conditioning - India Pale Ale - Started 04/01/09
Bottle Conditioning - Dead Guy Ale clone - Started 04/08/09

Drinking - German Altbier - Started 03/11/09
Drinking - Wheat Beer - Started 03/25/09

Carboy - EdWort's Apfelwine Round 3

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrow View Post
So I have my first batch of beer in the fermenter, anxiously awaiting the day I can drink it! In the meantime, I am trying some other beers to get a feel for what types of beer I really like.

Sam Adam's Boston Lager
Blue Moon
Mirror Pond Pale Ale

Is it possible to recreate any of these with extracts? I don't want to dive into grain brewing just yet, but would like to try cloning some of my favorites. What type of beer is Blue Moon anyway? And I would imagine that the Sam Adam's has to be "lagered", which means I don't think I have the needed equipment for it. Thanks everyone!
Blue Moon is a Belgian-stye Wit (or white--it's a wheat beer). They can be done in extract version--the one thing that's tough is the color (they'll often come out a bit darker), but the taste is certainly doable.

I would highly recommend trying an Allagash White clone; that's another Belgian Wit that's a bit truer to the style.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
SumnerH
Recipes 

Here's the basic recipe for a clone, from Rob Tod (Head brewer at Allagash) himself. The only thing he doesn't reveal is the exact "secret spice"; I like ginger with a hint of cloves.

This is for Allagash White, another beer in the same style as Blue Moon (A lot of places, e.g. Beer Advocate, rank Allagash as one of the top 3 beers in the world in this style).

Preboil
6 gallons water

Boil
6.6 lbs. 40% wheat/ 60% barley liquid malt extract or:
3.3 lbs. light/pilsner malt extract and 3.3 lbs 100% wheat malt extract (75 minutes)

3/4 oz. Tettnanger (60 minutes)
3/4 oz. Saaz (60 minutes)
1/4 oz. Saaz (flameout)

1/4 oz crushed coriander (flameout)
1/4 oz bitter orange peel (flameout)

1 pinch "secret spice" (flameout)
"secret spice" (anise, cinnamon, vanilla, pepper, or ginger) your choice

Yeast
WhiteLabs WLP400 or WLP410.....or Wyeast 3944 or 3463....ferment at 70 degrees

If you were looking for a true Belgian witbier, Hoegaarden is the most common (and sort of the reason for the style's revived popularity). St Bernardus makes one of the best (along with some other tremendous beers).

On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Quote:

Sam Adam's Boston Lager
Blue Moon
Mirror Pond Pale Ale

Oh, on the other two:
Sam Adams will need lagering, which means you'll need a way to control the temperature.

Mirror Pond Pale Ale I'm not familiar with, but Pale Ales are easily doable as extract brews. It's a matter of finding or formulating a recipe.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

As a fellow new brewer - about 1 yr here, still only extract w/ steeping grains, is my advice on clones: Those breweries have a very controlled process so they can re-create the same beer brew after brew. You will not have the same control they do.

While there's nothing wrong with trying to do a clone it most likely be 'different' in some way and you could be disappointed. Brew a type you like rather than a specific brand and enjoy it for what it is. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Don't rule out doing a lager recipe with an ale yeast either. It isn't going to be the same or true to style, but these can be good beers.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Scrow
Recipes 

Well I don't mean I want to recreate them exactly, just create a beer that is similar in style/body/taste. Just similar. A wheat beer would be cool to try.

Unfortunately, I don't understand the recipe.

Quote:
6.6 lbs. 40% wheat/ 60% barley liquid malt extract or:
3.3 lbs. light/pilsner malt extract and 3.3 lbs 100% wheat malt extract (75 minutes)
Do they sell an extract that is 40% wheat and 60% barley or would I have to make the mixture?

Quote:
3/4 oz. Tettnanger (60 minutes)
3/4 oz. Saaz (60 minutes)
1/4 oz. Saaz (flameout)
I am guessing these are the hops. I am also assuming the "flameout" means it is added in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil. Is this correct? And sorry to be a n00b, but are those quantities with fresh hops or pellets? Or are they the same quantities for either? I am not sure if there is some kind of conversion for hops to pellets.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrow
Well I don't mean I want to recreate them exactly, just create a beer that is similar in style/body/taste. Just similar. A wheat beer would be cool to try.

Unfortunately, I don't understand the recipe.

Do they sell an extract that is 40% wheat and 60% barley or would I have to make the mixture?
Wheat Malt Extract | MoreBeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrow
I am guessing these are the hops. I am also assuming the "flameout" means it is added in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil. Is this correct? And sorry to be a n00b, but are those quantities with fresh hops or pellets? Or are they the same quantities for either? I am not sure if there is some kind of conversion for hops to pellets.
There is a difference, you generally use 10% less if you are using pellets over whole hops.
As for flame-out, that means at 0 minutes, when you turn off the flame. The hops will be in the wort while it is cooling and being transferred to the Ale-Pail/Carboy.

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Old 03-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
Scrow
Recipes 

Do I need to then filter the hops back out? I am not sure if my LHBS sells pellets or straight hops, so I would imagine at least the straight hops would need to be filtered. Sorry, I am kind of slow...

Old 03-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Do I need to then filter the hops back out? I am not sure if my LHBS sells pellets or straight hops, so I would imagine at least the straight hops would need to be filtered. Sorry, I am kind of slow...
yes, all hops (pellet and whole) need to be filtered out between boil kettle and fermenter.

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Quick Reply