The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > New to Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
closetbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to Brew

Hello all. I cooked my first batch on Saturday afternoon with my 14 year old son and all went well-I think so? I visited a local brew supply store and and talked with the owner and he told me to be very carful of kit instructions. He said that there is alot of bad or misleading info out there. So I guess the real question is what is a good book for a beginning brewer. I could also use some advice on extract kits that are one the lighter side. I'm not a big fan of heavy or dark beer. Oh did I forget to tell you this is not my first try at brewing. My brother and I tried about 25 years ogo and it was the worst tasting ____ you could think of. Thanks for your time and any advice is welcome

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is a simple light full body beer. The extract version is on the first page.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/cent...10-gall-42841/

Keep your fermenter in the mid 60's and don't forget to crush the grains and properly steep them, get a rolling boil, add hops at the right times, cool the wort to 70 and properly aerate then pitch.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 82 Posts

How to brew by Palmer. Great resource for new and experienced brewers. There is a free online version but its worth it to buy the actual book.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2521 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 5683

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocScott View Post
How to brew by Palmer. Great resource for new and experienced brewers. There is a free online version but its worth it to buy the actual book.
+1

That was my first brewing book. But I was lucky because I just happened upon it in the book store without doing any research.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Rideandbrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Most kits advise transfer to a secondary fermenter to clear.Some see this as
unneeded.I leave mine in primary 2-3 weeks than keg.Unless I'm adding extras
(dry hop,fruit,nibs,vanilla).

Old 01-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Palmer's book is good. Papazian's is as well, although much of the process is dated. It's good for giving you the laid back angle on the process, though, and it's useful to get a few different takes on the procedures.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
alane1
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 86

I thought brewing for dummies by marty nachel was pretty good, dave millers homebrewing guide informative, but the joy of homebrewing by papazian is a right of passage.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Definitely get John Palmer's How to Brew. It's also worth getting Jamil Zainasheff's Brewin Classic Styles for recipes for each of the BJCP style categories and some insight into the differences and techniques involved. And the recipe posted in this thread, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, is an excellent easy drinking beer that appeals to craft drinkers and BMC drinkers alike.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Ricochetbrew
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocScott
+2
I was given this book when I purchased my first home brewing kit and I still reference it today over 200 brews later. It's a book you can grow with. It discusses the brewing basics but also has sections on all grain and mashing. Additionally the quick reference sheets for ABV according to your Original gravity and final gravity at very helpful. There are adjustment charts for wort samples at different temperatures as well. You will not be disappointed with this book. Good luck and may your future beers taste better than the one 25 years ago
Ryan Davis.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
sloanfamilydsm
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by docscott View Post
how to brew by palmer. Great resource for new and experienced brewers. There is a free online version but its worth it to buy the actual book.

+1

Quick Reply