Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > New Blog Plz Visit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
t-bag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New Blog Plz Visit

Hey all just started up a brewing blog. im looking for advice/input. Go check it out its pretty cool. http://hopdupbrew.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

No offense bro, but there is a single post on a blogspot blog. That's awesome that you're documenting your experience as a home brewer, but there isn't enough content to start directing people there yet. My advice is post regularly about your experiences (good, but especially the bad ones), include a lot of photos and wait until you have at least 20 blog entries before you pimp your blog.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6070 Times on 5304 Posts
Likes Given: 712

and, did you really mash at 170?

Old 03-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Love the background graphic!

But I also wonder about the mash at 170 degrees - if that number is accurate, you probably denatured most of your enzymes within a few minutes and ended up with incomplete conversion.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 03-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Looks good, I like the background too. One question on the info, You say that all grain is more time and effort. When I go to AG I am considering skipping partial all together and jumping straight in (this will be in the distant future though). From what I read I would consider partial to be the most time/effort of all the methods as you are basically doing and extract and a AG at the same time. Any clarification on this?

Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

First of all, I agree. If you're to make a blog you need more information before people will bother reading it. We're all excited about brewing and all, sure, but why would we read your blog if it provides no new information.

Second, your temp control regime, your mashing, and your process all have flaws and I would look into those things more if you're going to put information out into the world.

Finally, if you're going to put out information, PLEASE edit. Your case is terribly mixed and your punctuation is terrible. It was hard to get through for me.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #7
t-bag
Recipes 

Wow. Well my mistake. I've done about 8 batches so far and only 2 partial-mash. So im not incredibly experienced. Sorry i wasted your time and everything. and further more, i didnt mash at 170F that was the temp. of my strike water. I said it wrong.

Last edited by t-bag; 03-30-2010 at 12:36 AM.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 42

If I were you, I would just write up all the batches you have done with all the notes you have taken/remember. That should get you a decent amount of post to read through. Then just keep going, keep brewing and keep blogging. Have you started drinking the other 7 batches? How did they taste?
I would agree with the punctuation though, I know I can be bad at it sometimes on the forum but I really does help to make things easier to read (and therefore people will continue to read and follow your progress).
Also a post about you setup would be another good addition to the blog.

Last edited by mattd2; 03-30-2010 at 12:38 AM.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
t-bag
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
If I were you, I would just write up all the batches you have done with all the notes you have taken/remember. That should get you a decent amount of post to read through. Then just keep going, keep brewing and keep blogging. Have you started drinking the other 7 batches? How did they taste?
I would agree with the punctuation though, I know I can be bad at it sometimes on the forum but I really does help to make things easier to read (and therefore people will continue to read and follow your progress).
Also a post about you setup would be another good addition to the blog.
thank you for being nicer about it. and thanks for the advice

Old 03-30-2010, 01:00 AM   #10
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I wasn't trying to be mean. If you want to be successful at anything, you need to be critical about it. This kind of criticality is what makes people better at what they do.

Tags
advice, blog, cool, hops

Quick Reply