The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Never been so discouraged about homebrew (need some encouragement)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #41
RiffMagnum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cap and Hare is a good beer club in the DFW area.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 04:33 AM   #42
jbsg02
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I should point out I'm sampling my most recent brew right now and it's really not that bad. It's a hefe with 50% pils and 50% wheat, about 15 IBU's of hallertau, and I used wyeast 3068. It lacks maltyness and mouthfeel, but there doesn't seem to be any real off flavors. It's still pretty young, only been in the keg about 3 days and not fully carbonated.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:34 AM   #43
jbsg02
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffMagnum View Post
Cap and Hare is a good beer club in the DFW area.
Haven't heard of that, thanks.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:36 AM   #44
estricklin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Stauffbier you stole what I was going to say! As guitarist we KNOW exactly what it's like to be totally frustrated with something you love so much. When I get pissed I step back for a bit then I remember...Oh yeah this is supposed to be fun.

Grapefruit flavors make me think of a possible infection, review your sanitation techniques, also it could be the lactic acid your using. As for the other off flavor you mentioned I agree with the above about extracting tannins from the mash. Is your sparge water too hot? What temp are you mashing at? How much water are you sparging with? Never sparge until you see clear liquid coming out!

Are you doing a secondary fermentation or one long primary? I'm a big believer of secondary fermentation.

I also agree with the above about brewing software. I can say after my going on 8 years in the oilfeids, not everything engineered on a computer works correctly in the real world. Keep it simple where you can.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:00 AM   #45
jbsg02
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by estricklin View Post
Stauffbier you stole what I was going to say! As guitarist we KNOW exactly what it's like to be totally frustrated with something you love so much. When I get pissed I step back for a bit then I remember...Oh yeah this is supposed to be fun.

Grapefruit flavors make me think of a possible infection, review your sanitation techniques, also it could be the lactic acid your using. As for the other off flavor you mentioned I agree with the above about extracting tannins from the mash. Is your sparge water too hot? What temp are you mashing at? How much water are you sparging with? Never sparge until you see clear liquid coming out!

Are you doing a secondary fermentation or one long primary? I'm a big believer of secondary fermentation.

I also agree with the above about brewing software. I can say after my going on 8 years in the oilfeids, not everything engineered on a computer works correctly in the real world. Keep it simple where you can.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't actually even use lactic acid in that batch. I used RO water. As far as tannins, that was part of the reason for using acid in my sparge water, was to keep it from getting over a pH of 6. My sparge water is usually 170, by the time it leaves my cooler, it's probably a lot lower than that.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:05 AM   #46
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Maybe monitor your sparge gravity if you haven't been already. Anytime the gravity of the wort leaving your tun dips below 1.010 or so, you are extracting tannins.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #47
jbsg02
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Maybe monitor your sparge gravity if you haven't been already. Anytime the gravity of the wort leaving your tun dips below 1.010 or so, you are extracting tannins.
From what I understand, that's really true if your pH gets too high, mainly the reason I have been acidifying my sparge water. I have been checking my runnings too, and they haven't been getting that low.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #48
mike20793
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

How long are you conditioning your beers? I know you mentioned you keg but you mentioned it had only been in for three days and it has no mouthfeel. That sounds a bit green to me.

I live in TN and we have pretty hard water here, but I get along just fine without needing to add anything to control pH. Maybe you should try bottling a smash brew and letting it properly condition.

Other than that, it may be the beer lines of your keg like someone previously mentioned. I feel like you definitely know your stuff, so I really don't know what could be causing your problems. Hope all goes well. Please let us know what you find out. Cheers!

Old 06-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #49
jbsg02
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20793 View Post
How long are you conditioning your beers? I know you mentioned you keg but you mentioned it had only been in for three days and it has no mouthfeel. That sounds a bit green to me.

I live in TN and we have pretty hard water here, but I get along just fine without needing to add anything to control pH. Maybe you should try bottling a smash brew and letting it properly condition.

Other than that, it may be the beer lines of your keg like someone previously mentioned. I feel like you definitely know your stuff, so I really don't know what could be causing your problems. Hope all goes well. Please let us know what you find out. Cheers!
Thanks, I have one keg I'm conditioning for a bit longer and natually carbing in the keg. I will try that in a few weeks and hopefully take it to the lake for 4th of July if it's good.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:31 AM   #50
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 2659

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsg02 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I didn't actually even use lactic acid in that batch. I used RO water. As far as tannins, that was part of the reason for using acid in my sparge water, was to keep it from getting over a pH of 6. My sparge water is usually 170, by the time it leaves my cooler, it's probably a lot lower than that.
If you're using RO water are you adding salts back in or are you just using acid? That could give you some problems right there. You should treat your water if you're just using RO..

Quick Reply