Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Never been so discouraged about homebrew (need some encouragement)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #31
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Harshness/bitterness often comes from too much sulfate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #32
jbsg02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
What are you fermenting in?
I have a better bottle and the usual buckets. Seeing all the broken glass has scared me from using it, and people seem to do just fine with their better bottles on here.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:51 AM   #33
jbsg02
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corax View Post
One additional thought: Lactic acid has a rather nasty flavor of its own. If you must acidify your sparge water, phosphoric acid would be a better choice.
The best brew I made (the Kolsch) used more lactic acid than I have used in any other batch. I tend to use as little as I can get away with in my lighter beers.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #34
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsg02 View Post
I made one decent beer with DME, it was yooper's 60 min IPA clone, although the hop flavor faded very quickly in the bottle and I think suffered from a little oxidation after several weeks in the bottle. I tried extract again after I made a few bad all grain beers, using DME. If I remember correctly, it was a bit harsh/bitter, possibly metallic.
I don't suppose there was anyhting different between the two? Could be a clue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsg02 View Post
I have a better bottle and the usual buckets. Seeing all the broken glass has scared me from using it, and people seem to do just fine with their better bottles on here.
I've use glass, BBs, and buckets, and haven't noticed a difference in taste due to the choice of fermentor.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:04 AM   #35
jbsg02
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0ug View Post
I don't suppose there was anyhting different between the two? Could be a clue...

I've use glass, BBs, and buckets, and haven't noticed a difference in taste due to the choice of fermentor.
That's what I took out of my extract experiment, that I needed to focus more on healthy fermentation, I had always just used dry yeast before that. I began buying liquid yeast and making a starter on a stir plate. I have noticed some improvement since then, but I'm still not making the beer I'd like to be.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:10 AM   #36
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I wouldn't be too quick to knock the dry yeast, the Fermentis products US-05, 04, etc... are pretty good, ensure a good pitch rate for most beers up to 1.050-1.060, and many people on here report good results with them.

This makes think we're back to the suggestion of bringing some samples to a local brew club to have them tasted, or finding some other brewers in the area who might be willing to stop in on a brewday or two.

How is your fermentation set up for temp control, and what are your typical ferm. schedules/conditions like?

Old 06-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #37
jbsg02
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0ug View Post
I wouldn't be too quick to knock the dry yeast, the Fermentis products US-05, 04, etc... are pretty good, ensure a good pitch rate for most beers up to 1.050-1.060, and many people on here report good results with them.

This makes think we're back to the suggestion of bringing some samples to a local brew club to have them tasted, or finding some other brewers in the area who might be willing to stop in on a brewday or two.

How is your fermentation set up for temp control, and what are your typical ferm. schedules/conditions like?
I agree, that would do wonders for me, to have some long-time brewers taste and even have a brew day with them.

I can cool my wort down to about 80 with my immersion chiller, we have pretty warm tap water here. Then I stick it in my kegerator for a few hours and try to pitch in the mid to low 60's for most ales. I keep it there through the bulk of fermentation and when fermentation winds down I let it warm up a few degrees to help the yeast totally finish up.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:17 AM   #38
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1905 Times on 1180 Posts
Likes Given: 2742

Just a dumb thing to say. But maybe you should back off brewing for a month or so. Let your mind think about other things. Stuff you enjoy, family, etc...

Then if you can do that, probably impossible I understand. But if you can let it go for a while and come back to it. You might have a dfeent outlook on your beer.

My lousy couple pennies.

Best of luck my friend!

Old 06-15-2012, 04:20 AM   #39
jbsg02
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Just a dumb thing to say. But maybe you should back off brewing for a month or so. Let your mind think about other things. Stuff you enjoy, family, etc...

Then if you can do that, probably impossible I understand. But if you can let it go for a while and come back to it. You might have a dfeent outlook on your beer.

My lousy couple pennies.

Best of luck my friend!
Thanks, I probably won't brew for a bit anyways because I just brewed 2 batches and am waiting on these.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:21 AM   #40
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1013 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 2687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

My lousy couple pennies.

Best of luck my friend!
This is good advice in my opinion! I've done this with many things in life. I used to do it a lot with guitar playing when I couldn't get a certain riff down. After a little break I would nail that riff on the first try!

Quick Reply