Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Never been so discouraged about homebrew (need some encouragement)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #101
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsg02 View Post
Was this the thermometer?

http://www.amazon.com/CDN-DTQ450X-ProAccurate-Quick-Read-Thermometer/dp/B0021AEAG2

This is the one I have and I'd hate for this to not be accurate either!
That's the one I use. I've used it along side a dial thermometer and found that it is accurate throughout its range.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #102
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 387 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 49

wow... that was a lotta reading.

I know how frustrating it can be. I almost quit brewing about a year and a half ago because I was getting an off-flavor on my new rig that I couldn't find (and I still get a ton of crap about it from my dear "friends"!!!) It is insanely frustrating though.

I dunno... my two cents is on the only thing I haven't seen anyone mention (maybe I missed it) is your kegs. Are you occasionally completely breaking down your kegs (removing dip-tubes, removed o-rings, etc) and giving them a good cleaning... and THEN a good SANITIZING? (cleaning and sanitizing aren't the same thing). It is really easy to get a bug in a keg and I think a basic infection will toss off all sorts of off-flavors.

I think your current hefe might be a good test case... if it tastes ok now... give it another couple weeks and see if it still tastes ok. If it does... it's probably not a keg issue. If it doesn't... then you may have found your culprit.

Good luck though... trust me, once you find it, it's going to be awesome to brew again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply