New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Neighbor wants to call fire marshall for brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #21
BeantownR6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

if i move the brew set up 10' from my garage, then it would be set up in the fire lane, where he was parking anyways which is illegal.

This is the code section referenced in the letter:
CFC2011 - 308.1.1 Where prohibited. A person shall not take or utilize an open flame or light in a structure, vessel, boat or other place where highly flammable, combustible or explosive material is utilized or stored. Lighting appliances shall be well-secured in a glass globe and wire mesh cage or a similar approved device.

[California Code of Regulations, Title 19, Division 1, §3.25(a) and (b)] Open Flame Devices.

(a) Open flame devices shall be prohibited in every Group A, E, I, R-2.1, R-3.1 and R-4 occupancy.

Pretty sure my building is an R-2 so the above doesn't apply.

but i found this section right after, this is what im concerned about the the FM comese out.

CFC 2011 - 308.1.4 Open-flame cooking devices. Charcoal burners and other open-flame cooking devices shall not be operated on combustible balconies or within 10 feet (3048 mm) of combustible construction.
Exceptions:
1. One- and two-family dwellings.
2. Where buildings, balconies and decks are protected by an automatic sprinkler system.
3. LP-gas cooking devices having LP-gas container with a water capacity not greater than 21/2 pounds [nominal 1 pound (0.454 kg) LP-gas capacity].

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #22
Gunrunner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The fire code refers to open flame near a comercial building or a Residential occupancy with 3 or more living units (not bedrooms). NFPA are standars or recomendations and Fire Code is what is adopted and enforced. Someone stated that fire codes are not enforeced and they are wrong. Fire Codes are inforeced by the Authority Having Jursidiction (law enforcement, Fire Department, County officails) it all depends on who has adopted the code. The ONLY thing to do is to call the AHJ (try the fire department) and get the correct information. Beyond that your neighbor is a jerk and this topic has no further discussion till you get clarification from the AHJ.

The Gunrunner
If you are going to be stupid then you better be tough.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #23
BeantownR6
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taypo View Post
Call the Fire Marshal, Redondo Beach belongs to a guy named Rappaport. (310) 318-0663, option 7. If he's anything like the Fire Marshals I deal with at work, he's got about a million other things to worry about and will probably tell you EXACTLY what you need to do to to avoid a hassle.
haha thats the number ive been calling - no answer

Old 11-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #24
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1894 Times on 1873 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Subscribed. I just want to see how this plays out. Good luck Bean.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #25
teal
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Define "cooking device" - there are recipe books on how to cook off the heat of your engine block while driving. Manifold Destiny so technically it's illegal to use your car in the driveway/garage.

Best bet, imo, it to call the local FD and find out exactly how they view your brew set up.

Andrew

Old 11-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #26
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Brewing beer with a turkey fryer is way different than frying a turkey in peanut oil.

When wort boils over, it makes a mess, and can extinguish the flame.

Throw a frozen turkey in hot oil and watch the fireworks and then the garage burn down.

I think your neighbor is making a mountain out of a molehill since you are not boiling anything combustible. His apartment is probably full of code violations if he's a hoarder. He's a fireman's worst nightmare if his place goes up.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 11-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #27
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Try hitting option ZERO - it wont be the FM, but someone WILL answer the phone. Too many people call local FD in emergencies for it to be an unmanned number. Let me know if that works out better for you

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Old 11-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #28
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Can't we all just get along?

Sorry I couldnt resist. I can't stand stupid neighbors(it's why I have none)

Back Nine Brew&Wine
Life don't get better than a beer and a pepper.
What I am brewing is now a mystery

Old 11-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #29
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunrunner View Post
The fire code refers to open flame near a comercial building or a Residential occupancy with 3 or more living units (not bedrooms). NFPA are standars or recomendations and Fire Code is what is adopted and enforced. Someone stated that fire codes are not enforeced and they are wrong. Fire Codes are inforeced by the Authority Having Jursidiction (law enforcement, Fire Department, County officails) it all depends on who has adopted the code. The ONLY thing to do is to call the AHJ (try the fire department) and get the correct information. Beyond that your neighbor is a jerk and this topic has no further discussion till you get clarification from the AHJ.
Fire fighter, are ya?

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Old 11-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #30
BeantownR6
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Brewing beer with a turkey fryer is way different than frying a turkey in peanut oil.

When wort boils over, it makes a mess, and can extinguish the flame.

Throw a frozen turkey in hot oil and watch the fireworks and then the garage burn down.

I think your neighbor is making a mountain out of a molehill since you are not boiling anything combustible. His apartment is probably full of code violations if he's a hoarder. He's a fireman's worst nightmare if his place goes up.
yeah true but what this code is preventing is a charcoal fire or a larger propane tank, which could blow up and do lots of damage, hence the 1 lb tank exception, those are the small green coleman fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taypo View Post
Try hitting option ZERO - it wont be the FM, but someone WILL answer the phone. Too many people call local FD in emergencies for it to be an unmanned number. Let me know if that works out better for you
tried that too, maybee they are out fighting a fire today.

Quick Reply