The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Neighbor wants to call fire marshall for brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
bmbigda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

my wife works for NFPA, and I had a similar situation 2 years ago when I rented a first floor apt in a building.

whoever wrote that on your door is correct about needing to be 10' from the occupancy. However, there is no "citation" for this. Your landlord is the only person who can have an issue with it, because her insurance will not cover damages caused if they found out she is not enforcing the 10' rule. Building fire codes are not enforced by authorities.

If it truly is your hell bent neighbor behind this, then his only avenue will be to complain to your lanlord that he feels his safety is compromised by your brewing. If he does this, then your lanlord will either ignore him or ask you to stop.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbigda View Post

If it truly is your hell bent neighbor behind this, then his only avenue will be to complain to your lanlord that he feels his safety is compromised by your brewing. If he does this, then your lanlord will either ignore him or ask you to stop.
And if he has a letter from the landlord it kind of shows him what side of the dispute she is on.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Call the Fire Marshal, Redondo Beach belongs to a guy named Rappaport. (310) 318-0663, option 7. If he's anything like the Fire Marshals I deal with at work, he's got about a million other things to worry about and will probably tell you EXACTLY what you need to do to to avoid a hassle.

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Old 11-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taypo View Post
Call the Fire Marshal, Redondo Beach belongs to a guy named Rappaport. (310) 318-0663, option 7. If he's anything like the Fire Marshals I deal with at work, he's got about a million other things to worry about and will probably tell you EXACTLY what you need to do to to avoid a hassle.
Jesus this forum can be amazing sometimes......

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
aomagman78
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Clarify, the fire code says you have to be 10' away from combustible construction, can't you just move 10' away? I would call the fire dept and find out the rules exactly and find a way to follow them. Then if they call the fire marshall...you're fine. What's the trouble in that?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #16
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Jesus this forum can be amazing sometimes......
Aint that the truth? I work with fire alarm/sprinkler technicians across the country, so very rarely does what I do come in handy outside of work.

Every now and again though...

Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat

Old 11-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #17
bmbigda
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That code may not even apply to your building. I'm waiting to hear back from a professional. Do you know the total occupancy of the building? (number of bedrooms)

Old 11-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #18
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There's a huge difference between NFPA standards (if you're looking at NFPA 101, especially) and what he may be dealing with locally, as I'm sure you're aware. Unless you're waiting on a call back from someone who deals with the local fire code, you may be wasting your time.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #19
teal
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I'd move 10 feet away and start a tire on fire just to be a jerk - hey, that's just me.

Best bet is getting something in writing from the fire folks - like someone said - should be a list of exemptions and likely you qualify.

Course you can then ask the obvious question - "If anything larger than a 1lb propane container is illegal - I can obviously just build a wood fire instead. There's NOTHING mentioning that..." I'd guess someone would see the idiocy and just let you be.

Andrew

matt2778 Likes This 
Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #20
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

The only thing you can do in a situation like this is cover your own a** with paperwork and documentation and see how it plays out. If you're against code, you're against code. A lot of the time it'll depend on the actual fire marshal. Some will let things slide if you're not a complete jerk.. and some are by the book 100%. But if he wants to play that game, do whatever you can to make sure you ARE within code, and call HIM out on everything he does. If he's grilling on his deck, call the fire marshal. If his trash blocks a public egress in any way, call the fire marshal.

It sucks but if he wants to pick a fight with you, sometimes ignoring it won't make it go away.

Quick Reply