Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Neighbor wants to call fire marshall for brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #101
lazybean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do NOT take this as advice.

A good friend of mine had a very similar situation. Land lord was cool with him brewing (5gal) as long as he was not inside the garage, just in front of it and he kept a extinguisher next to him. the guy the lived above him was a PITA, making tons of noise late nights, and got pissed when my friend asked him to keep it down. It got worse, and some bad blood developed. One Saturday while brewing a fire inspector showed up, said the guy had called dozens of times , so he came to check it out. Talked to my friend about what he was doing, and how often. My friend gave him a basic run down, how it was Water, that he always had the extinguisher next to him, and always did it in front of the garage (right on the red fire line paint too). Even told him it was probaly the guy upstairs in retaliation of the complaints he had made. The inspector said he would "look into it" and would contact him if there was a "code violation". Never heard anything about it.

It was here in SoCal too. Not saying that will always happen, just that is what did happen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #102
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 609 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post

You forget that he was ASKED NICELY not to block the garage and break the law to begin with. I wouldn't call that escalating. I'd call it attempting resolution.
Yes, he asked nicely initially.. And don't get me wrong, I'm for the OP but when he had the car ticketed it became a real quagmire. I would not call that an attempt at resolution.

If they can't talk and settle things it will just be one or the other calling the police or fire marshals until one moves out or things get really ugly.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #103
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2025 Times on 1774 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

To bad the op doesn't live next to me! Try having nearly a whole development of back stabbing posers around! I'd love to have a friend like that next door.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #104
arnoldk2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

What is the op suppose to do? Ask and then ask again? Then after that ask again? And wait... after that ask some more? Keep calling and having his car ticketed. This DB doesn't respect you and that's obvious. I would change my set up to electric and brew with the garage closed. Respect those who respect you. Be kind to those who are kind to you. The rest can go eff themselfs.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #105
cabal09
Recipes 

Here's what you do, every chance get do this. When ever you see him start arguing with yourself. Do it when ever you go by his door, on your shared deck even when your brewing. Especially when your brewing, just argue about what ingredients to use. I guarantee you he will not mess with you. Sane people don't mess with the crazy ones.

Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #106
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Reading this thread makes me so glad that I live in my own house in an area free of homeowners associations and with minimal town regulation.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #107
BeantownR6
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
Reading this thread makes me so glad that I live in my own house in an area free of homeowners associations and with minimal town regulation.
your so lucky. i grew up in a quiet town outside of Boston on a farm, then lived in the some nice cities that border Boston. I tell ya, living in the socal beach cities does have its advantages, i do miss the neighborhood type feeling. this place is so overcrowded i really want to pack up and move to the mountains, or a rural place like NH or VT. ive been here for 7 years and its been great, i at least have to stay another 2 years or so to finish some things, but i want out of LA but definable would miss the beach cities. I want a place with no neighbors so close.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:22 AM   #108
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Hey,
I am a fireman in SoCal and we get these type of complaints all the time. Essentially it is a neighbor dispute and we try not to get involved. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT any firefighter would try to hand you a citation. Heck in my department they took our citation books away because hardly anyone ever wrote a citation and if they did if was written wrong and thrown out of court. BTW I think there is an adapter so that could use 1 lb propane tanks with a turkey fryer. That way you could keep brewing and tell your neighbor to go F himself.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Old 11-03-2011, 01:37 AM   #109
SIXFOOTER
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do your brewing on a saturday, the ode guys and firemarshal are either not working, or have about a million other things to do. Let him call, give the fire marshal a beer.

==================================
Todays Brew - 5 gallons of Pumpkin Ale
In Fining; White Chocolate Port, Barrollo, Muscadine
Bottled; Octoberfest Lager, SalmonFest Lager, Big Head Red, Boca Bitch Gluetin Free, Belgian Wit, Dark Knight Sweet Stout, American Pale, Boca Brown Ale

Old 11-03-2011, 03:30 AM   #110
AntX
Recipes 

Why no "RDWHAHB" advice yet?

Seriously, I've had bad landlords, bad neighbors, and bad days, but in the end, being positive is the key.

PS: After re-reading myself, I didn't mean to sound as if "ignoring" your issue will fix it. Just put it in perspective.

Quick Reply