Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > need quick help...corks, belgian bottles and carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 02:20 AM   #1
krausenmustache
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Default need quick help...corks, belgian bottles and carbonation

Im in the the middle of bottling my tripel. The plan was to use the 12-750ml belgian bottles I had, and the new case of 12 I just bought. Well I guess my brewshop decided to go with a different type of belgian bottle because the new ones dont take caps, they appear to take corks. Now this isnt a problem bc I have corks (#8), but what I dont have is champagne style corks.

So can I cork these belgian bottles with normal corks, or will they blow out on me due to the carbonation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Normal corks are no good with carbonation, sorry. You need Belgians or champagnes with cages.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 07-12-2009, 04:05 AM   #3
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You can use normal corks and caps but I think the caps are larger to fit the mouth of the bottle. Lindemann's puts some of their lambics in bottles with capped corks (non-champagne type corks / cages).

Quick Reply