Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > need help w/ swmbo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
coy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default need help w/ swmbo

OK so my first batch was a pale ale. It turned out great and I like it so much I've just about drank it all.
My wifes tried it and didn't like it. well she lied at first and said she did, but after her buying an 18 pack of coors light and me having over a case of my ale. I had to probe... She said it was ok, but doesn't like the bitterness and it's really not too bitter, just enough i'd like it a little more but anyway..to the point of my rambling.

I have 2 months left in this house and want to get a brew going and ready for transport by mid to late June(before the 20th) that she'll like.. So it looks like no lagers.
So I'm wanting to make something she'll enjoy to get on board a bit more. i don't have anything against coors light (drank it for years) but would rather brew and share/enjoy with the misses ya know.
I've considered simply leaving the bittering hops out and going with a double amount of aromatic hops which will give me (to my understanding) very little bitterness but more smell.
So far I'm leaning towards a Honey comb weizen kit recipe. But honestly don't know the difference between a weizen and a ale.. I know I should but just don't

So are there any suggestions on something the wife will like took alot of typing to ask a simple question. sorry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4822 Times on 4426 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Many women enjoy the fruity, spicey character of wheats or wits.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 589 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Stay away from weizens if your not familiar.

Like GMB said, a nice wit beer is great in the spring and ready to drink within 4-6 weeks of brewing (if you're bottling).

Old 04-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
coy
Recipes 

I kinda thought a weizen was a wheat beer? I really need to finish reading my book. LOL

Is there any good recipes you can suggest to look up.

so whats the difference in a whit and a weizen? the recipe for the honey comb weizen was all grain stuff.
The kit contains: 6 lbs Wheat malt extract, 2 lbs of Minnesota clover honey, 1 oz. Saaz bittering hops, 1 oz. Saaz aroma hops, 1/2 Carapils, yeast and priming sugar.
I was going to just leave out the bittering hops or ask to sub the 1oz bittering w/ 2oz of aroma hops?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Buy 2 cases of Coors Light in the bottle. Clean the labels off and recap.

Then make a beer that you like.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy View Post
I kinda thought a weizen was a wheat beer? I really need to finish reading my book. LOL

so whats the difference in a whit and a weizen? the recipe for the honey comb weizen was all grain stuff.
The kit contains: 6 lbs Wheat malt extract, 2 lbs of Minnesota clover honey, 1 oz. Saaz bittering hops, 1 oz. Saaz aroma hops, 1/2 Carapils, yeast and priming sugar.
I was going to just leave out the bittering hops or ask to sub the 1oz bittering w/ 2oz of aroma hops?
Make her Apfelwein.......or if she is a coors light person I have a light beer recipe in my recipe drop down called "WOW, now that's a light beer". My brother in law is a life time coors light drinker and he loves this stuff I made it for him. It's easy. Ready in 4 weeks after bottling easy.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/wow-...t-beer-167718/

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
Rundownhouse
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The difference between the wit and the weizen is, in general, the yeast, although wits may often use adjuncts where weizens rarely do, etc etc. But the yeast is a biggy.

If you're brewing a wit/weizen kit, don't mess with the hops, just brew it as is. Hop bitterness is low in those styles. In some cases, the IBUs are right around the threshold of perception. If swmbo's objection was bitterness in the pale, one ounce of czech saaz won't be a problem at all.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy View Post

Weizen usually refers to Hefeweizen. They have a unique usually Banana clove character from the yeast. There are a few good German examples to try like Erdinger, Franziskaner and Weihenstephan. Hefeweizen tend to be the most well received by avg beer drinkers than any other styles I brew.

A Wit is a wheat beer that has citrus like flavor from coriander. A couple commercial examples are Blue Moon or Hoegarden.

A wheat beer is what I consider American wheat. They are slightly tart and refreshing but lack the yeast character found in German wheat

Without bittering hops the beer will be way too sweet. Saaz is usually low alpha acid and won't be too bitter. The wheat styles tend to be low IBU.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 953 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2023

Hi Coy. Are you brewing extract?

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
l1ranger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

my girlfriend doesn't like the real bitter beers, but that doesn't necessarily mean she'll like the not so bitter beers either.
I wouldn't worry about finding something to brew for her in the next two months, but spend that time buying different commercial beers that you think she might like and forcer her to try them.

my girlfriend has grown a fondness for Bell's Oberon - but up until then, she has told me she doesn't like wheat beers

Josh

bottle - some odds and ends
Primary - Belgian Pale
Secondary - smoked ale, christmas ale
on deck - brrrrr-ley wine

Quick Reply