Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > need help quick with a yeast starter question
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
basilchef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default need help quick with a yeast starter question

its been on the stir plate for 24 hours as of right now. i would rather pitch the starter directly without cooling and decanting. how long will it be ok on my stir plate? i dont like to go too much longer then 24 hrs due to some of the info i have come across recently from some dude in scrubs that works for wyeast online. should i take it off the stir plate or just leave it? also didnt have room for all my starter wort in my flask so i put the rest in another bottle and have been shaking it periodically. will they be fine to mix?

__________________
basilchef is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
Esmitee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Little Egg Harbor, At the Bay and Ocean, NJ
Posts: 493
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

I would say YES to all your questions. you don"t have to decant, depending on your starter size (You didn"t say), I'd take it off your stir plate now. I usually pitch with-in 24 hours, but sometimes up to 3 days later. Yes if you sanitized well before you filled the vessels. Toss them in together.

Good Luck!

__________________
Thank You in Advance for your Time and Info....!
Esmitee is offline
hillhousesawdustco Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #3
basilchef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmitee View Post
I would say YES to all your questions. you don"t have to decant, depending on your starter size (You didn"t say), I'd take it off your stir plate now. I usually pitch with-in 24 hours, but sometimes up to 3 days later. Yes if you sanitized well before you filled the vessels. Toss them in together.

Good Luck!
thanks my starter is 1.72L , should i just leave the yeast in my ferm chamber at ideal fermentation temp til tmro when i brew?
__________________
basilchef is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Between here and there, and everywhere
Posts: 12,058
Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default

What do you have against chilling and then decanting so that you get the yeast without the extra spent starter wort? IMO, having ~1.5L of meh starter wort in a brew is a negative. It won't add anything positive to the brew.

I typically chill overnight and then decant and pitch the slurry (I leave maybe 1/4" of spent starter over the yeast to mix in with it to get it to flow) into the beer wort. Of course, I also oxygenate the beer wort with pure O2. IMO, you should do everything possible to get a better brew. Cutting corners won't get you there.

__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Golddiggie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
basilchef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
What do you have against chilling and then decanting so that you get the yeast without the extra spent starter wort? IMO, having ~1.5L of meh starter wort in a brew is a negative. It won't add anything positive to the brew.

I typically chill overnight and then decant and pitch the slurry (I leave maybe 1/4" of spent starter over the yeast to mix in with it to get it to flow) into the beer wort. Of course, I also oxygenate the beer wort with pure O2. IMO, you should do everything possible to get a better brew. Cutting corners won't get you there.
i dont want the yeast to go to sleep on me... i am learning more about starters and this is my first stir plate starter (not that it matters). my thought process was that if they stay at ideal ferm temp from start to finish and get pitched hungry they will be happier. im brewing tmro and was wondering if it was better to keep then at temp if poss or chill and decant? ps greeting from amherst MA
__________________
basilchef is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 03:14 AM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Between here and there, and everywhere
Posts: 12,058
Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilchef View Post
i dont want the yeast to go to sleep on me... i am learning more about starters and this is my first stir plate starter (not that it matters). my thought process was that if they stay at ideal ferm temp from start to finish and get pitched hungry they will be happier. im brewing tmro and was wondering if it was better to keep then at temp if poss or chill and decant? ps greeting from amherst MA
Just to put your mind at rest... My 'normal' process for starters has them going into the fridge ~24-30 hours before pitching time. I let them stay in the fridge until about 4-8 hours before I'll be pitching (I transport them to my brew buddy's in a cooler). I take the flask out of the cooler and put it onto the dining room table to start to warm up. About 10-20 minutes before I'll be pitching the yeast, I decant most of the spent starter and get the yeast into suspension. I make sure the stirbar isn't going to end up in the fermenter too. After I've oxygenated the beer wort, I pour the slurry into the fermenter. It then goes into the basement for the duration.

I typically get active fermenation sign in under 12 hours this way. I do try to get the yeast slurry within about 10-15F of the chilled wort. I also try to get my wort to the low end, or below that, for the yeast fermenting temperature. I've had it at 50-55F before, for a yeast that likes it in the low 60's. No issue with that, since it fermented very well. It ended up in about the middle of it's temperature range, maybe a little lower.

If you want to see how we (my brew-buddy and I) do things, let me know. I'll be brewing with him probably one more time before I move, and [hopefully] can brew at home again. Not sure where I'll be moving to just yet. We currently brew at his house in Sudbury.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Golddiggie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #7
basilchef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, massachusettes
Posts: 755
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Just to put your mind at rest... My 'normal' process for starters has them going into the fridge ~24-30 hours before pitching time. I let them stay in the fridge until about 4-8 hours before I'll be pitching (I transport them to my brew buddy's in a cooler). I take the flask out of the cooler and put it onto the dining room table to start to warm up. About 10-20 minutes before I'll be pitching the yeast, I decant most of the spent starter and get the yeast into suspension. I make sure the stirbar isn't going to end up in the fermenter too. After I've oxygenated the beer wort, I pour the slurry into the fermenter. It then goes into the basement for the duration.

I typically get active fermenation sign in under 12 hours this way. I do try to get the yeast slurry within about 10-15F of the chilled wort. I also try to get my wort to the low end, or below that, for the yeast fermenting temperature. I've had it at 50-55F before, for a yeast that likes it in the low 60's. No issue with that, since it fermented very well. It ended up in about the middle of it's temperature range, maybe a little lower.

If you want to see how we (my brew-buddy and I) do things, let me know. I'll be brewing with him probably one more time before I move, and [hopefully] can brew at home again. Not sure where I'll be moving to just yet. We currently brew at his house in Sudbury.
cool man thanks... and it would be cool to see you guys in action except im moving to boston myself. if you find your way out there we could make it happen more ideally. - cheers and thanks for the response.
__________________
basilchef is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Esmitee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Little Egg Harbor, At the Bay and Ocean, NJ
Posts: 493
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilchef View Post
thanks my starter is 1.72L , should i just leave the yeast in my ferm chamber at ideal fermentation temp til tmro when i brew?
yes That's what I would do
__________________
Thank You in Advance for your Time and Info....!
Esmitee is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick (stupid) yeast question Bigeb General Beer Discussion 3 05-02-2011 02:27 PM
Yeast Starter Question Phunhog General Beer Discussion 3 05-06-2009 12:51 PM
Another yeast starter question... tireater General Beer Discussion 6 04-22-2009 03:04 AM
Quick Yeast Harvesting question kahunaman General Beer Discussion 4 11-26-2008 01:49 PM
Quick Question on re-pitching w/ a Starter Evan! General Beer Discussion 3 04-08-2008 07:38 PM