Need help creating a Imperial Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonToews

Reaction score
A friend of mine, as well as myself really enjoy this one Imperial Hefeweizen from howesound brewery. What does everyone think of this idea? Also wasn't sure if I should use pilsner malt or pale malt. I will also be throwing in alot of rice hulls as well.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 53.3 %
5.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 36.7 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 13.5 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (40 min) Hops 11.8 IBU

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.083 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.021 SG
Bitterness: 25.3 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 8.1%

This is the brew BTW

beerImg_king.png

http://www.howesound.com/Brewery/Beers/Beer_KingHeffy.aspx

use what tastes good to you, traditional german wheat beers would be utilizing continental pilsner malt, though.

Looks like a hefeweizen brewed to dopplebock strength. Be kind to your yeast and pay attention to fermentation temperature control. German style wheat beers are all about the yeast and fermentation temperature.

Personally I like pale malt in my wheat ales/hefes, so i like your grain bill, but I would change the 40 minute additions, they don't serve much purpose as you could just up the 60 and use less hops. Also for my taste, Id bump the IBUs to 35-40 with the ABV being at 8.1%, with a late addition at 5 or flameout.... but that's me, brew to your taste.

well i was looking on their website and they say their "king heffy" is 25IBU's, so im trying to go towards similar taste. Thanks for the help everyone!

IMHO, jack up the Munich, double it even.

You are going to want some more malt flavor to go with that high ABV.

What yeast are you planning to use? I would pitch heavy, that is a LOT for the yeasties to eat there.

You are going to want some more malt flavor to go with that high ABV.

What yeast are you planning to use? I would pitch heavy, that is a LOT for the yeasties to eat there.

I would increase the ale malt to ensure you have enough diastatic power in your mash.

+1 for using a starter on this one, maybe even a couple step starter

I would increase the ale malt to ensure you have enough diastatic power in your mash.

+1 for using a starter on this one, maybe even a couple step starter

I don't think conversion would be a problem. Wheat malt has enough enzymes to convert itself.

I like those bottles; I wish I could find swing top bottles with good beer in them.

I just racked a high gravity belgian wit to secondary, it's an extract batch that's almost 8%. Fg sample tasted great but i think i over did the orange peel. Love wheat for summer drinking.

I'm not sure why people make this so complicated. Take your favorite hefeweizen recipe, and, maintaining the same ratios, increase the amount of ingredients until you reach your desired OG.

I know the pro brewery calls it that, but you sound dumb when you say "Imperial Hefeweizen." It's called weizenbock. And stay off my lawn!

I know the pro brewery calls it that, but you sound dumb when you say "Imperial Hefeweizen." It's called weizenbock. And stay off my lawn!

Ha!

I'm not sure why people make this so complicated. Take your favorite hefeweizen recipe, and, maintaining the same ratios, increase the amount of ingredients until you reach your desired OG.

That approach tends to end in unbalanced beers. Just my experience.

Ha!

That approach tends to end in unbalanced beers. Just my experience.

How so? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm still new and am receptive to criticism. It just seems like common sense to me. If a beer is balanced at 5% ABV and you want it to be 10%--especially if you want it be the same general style--you just double everything. We're not comparing an ESB to a barley wine. My intuition says this should be like comparing apples to apples.

so hows this... apparently if it is a weizenbock, should I be using vienna malt instead of pale?

8.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 51.6 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 25.8 %
3.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 19.4 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.2 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (40 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast-Wheat

so in that case it would be

4.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 25.8 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 13.3 IBU

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.085 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Estimated Color: 8.0 SRM
Bitterness: 24.9 IBU (8.0-15.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 1.8 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 8.5 %
Actual Calories: 43 cal/pint

dougdecinces said:
How so? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm still new and am receptive to criticism. It just seems like common sense to me. If a beer is balanced at 5% ABV and you want it to be 10%--especially if you want it be the same general style--you just double everything. We're not comparing an ESB to a barley wine. My intuition says this should be like comparing apples to apples.

I would agree with you except for the ibus, you need to put the ibus around 20% higher when you get into higher (8%+) abv beers, ie 30 ibus at 5% will only taste like 20-24 ibus at 10%. That's not an exact formula, YMMV.

944play said:

Weizenbocks are more bitter and darker than hefes, so I think imperial or dubble works in this situation.

K, the ibus are at 30 now according to beersmith

4.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 25.8 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 13.3 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (30 min) Hops 5.1 IBU

And I do not agree. One of my favorite commercial weizenbocks is Weihenstephaner Vitus. It is neither bitter nor dark.
2381904894_ed522a1658.jpg

I've found that doing that changes the malt/bitterness balance too far to the malty sweetness side. I've talked with a few other people, and the general sense is to increase specialty malts somewhat, and make up the bulk of the gravity in base malt. That keeps the color closer while giving you a more attenuating wort. Then, boost bittering addition IBUs by 10-15%. YMMV, of course, but that's what we tend to go with.

Back