The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Need expert help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
MonkHeDo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Need expert help!

So, last night I brewed up a smoked breakfast stout for a competition whose due date is July 29th. However, I left out the 2 lbs of instant oatmeal in the mash. So, today is the first day of fermentation. I have a larger carboy I could rack the stout into on top of more fermentables to boost the ABV.

So, my question is, how could I still get the oats to convert so that I could rack the stout onto the "oat extract" for lack of a better term? Does what I'm asking even make sense? I really want the silky texture and sweetness that oats provide in a stout, not just the extra ABV.

Discuss!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
MonkHeDo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I guess a clearer way to ask the question is...if I did a little minimash with the 2 lbs of oats to rack the wort on top of, how much milled 2-row would I need to add to get 2 lbs of oats to convert?

Old 06-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Nashbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You don't need the oats to convert to be able to get the dextrins out of the oats that will add to the body of the beer. You can take a portion of the beer and heat it and steep the oats in it, or you can just steep the oats in hot water and add that to the beer as a oat extract. I did something similar with an extract oat stout where I steeped the oats and roasted barley, so that should add the body, but it won't add fermentables to it.

Edit: For a minimash I would expect you would need about 1lb of 2 row. I'm not completely sure how much diastic power is needed for oats, but 1lb of 2 row can convert about 3lbs of corn.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
MonkHeDo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashbrewer View Post
You don't need the oats to convert to be able to get the dextrins out of the oats that will add to the body of the beer. You can take a portion of the beer and heat it and steep the oats in it, or you can just steep the oats in hot water and add that to the beer as a oat extract. I did something similar with an extract oat stout where I steeped the oats and roasted barley, so that should add the body, but it won't add fermentables to it.

Edit: For a minimash I would expect you would need about 1lb of 2 row. I'm not completely sure how much diastic power is needed for oats, but 1lb of 2 row can convert about 3lbs of corn.
That is exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Old 06-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Make sure you boil the minimash for a few minutes! To kill all that lacto.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashbrewer View Post

Not a good idea. Do not just steep the oats. You're gonna get all kinds of starch in the beer that will lead to stability problems. If I were you, I'd re-brew, but if you must, definitely mash, definitely boil for an hour. You could use a pound of 6-row, it has higher diastatic power. Especially because you're entering this to competition. Not boiling the extract for at least that hour could result in DMS in the finished beer.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 06-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 328 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 260

+1 to rebrewing.....

By doing that, you get two good stouts, and you can directly compare the impact of the oats and learn something about what they add to a beer in a side-by-side test. Then you have two beers to enter in the comp. if you want as well.

If you mess around with trying to get the oats back in there - I think you have better than a 50/50 chance of ending up with a beer you don't like or that does not turn out. At that point, you have no beer for the comp, you have no idea what the original recipe could have really tasted like, and you probably won't even know exactly what the problem was that ruined your beer.

I would go with the rebrew if it is important to you and also learn something along the way.

Primary: Ordinary Bitter, Bourbon Barrel Imperial Porter
Secondary: Bo-Pils, Sour Cherry Stout,
Future Brews: German Pilsner, Dortmunder, Porter, APA, IPA, British Dark Mild, More...... More....... Beer.......

Old 06-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor View Post
By doing that, you get two good stouts, and you can directly compare the impact of the oats and learn something about what they add to a beer in a side-by-side test. Then you have two beers to enter in the comp. if you want as well.
+1 that back.

Terrific idea.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 06-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
MonkHeDo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor View Post
+1 to rebrewing.....

If you mess around with trying to get the oats back in there - I think you have better than a 50/50 chance of ending up with a beer you don't like or that does not turn out. At that point, you have no beer for the comp, you have no idea what the original recipe could have really tasted like, and you probably won't even know exactly what the problem was that ruined your beer.

I would go with the rebrew if it is important to you and also learn something along the way.
Thanks...initially I was going to do this, and I see the value in it, but money and lack of time for the 2nd beer to be ready for the deadline are both a factor. So I am leaning towards goining ahead with the minimash and full 60-min boil at this time. If it doesn't turn out for this competition, no problem, there will be other competitions. I feel like the beer needs the oats to be the breakfast stout concept I have in my head.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 328 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 260

i can see that.... I would be curious how this works out for you - you are not the first person to forget something in the brew. Let us know in a month or two if it worked for you.

Primary: Ordinary Bitter, Bourbon Barrel Imperial Porter
Secondary: Bo-Pils, Sour Cherry Stout,
Future Brews: German Pilsner, Dortmunder, Porter, APA, IPA, British Dark Mild, More...... More....... Beer.......

Quick Reply