Need to buy an extension cord to run my freezer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I need to buy an extension cord that can run a freezer. I realize that due to the energy requirements of my freezer, I should probably buy a heavy duty cord. The cord will run about 15' from plug to location. Can anyone help me with what facts I need to know when selecting a cord to accommodate this? Gauge? I'm buying from amazon.com so if anyone wants to point me in the correction direction, thanks!

Outlet is rated for 15amps? Thus you need a coord rated for 15amps.

The rest is sorted out by the rating. Ie the wire guage will be appropriate to the length to maintain the rating by design.

I need to buy an extension cord that can run a freezer. I realize that due to the energy requirements of my freezer, I should probably buy a heavy duty cord. The cord will run about 15' from plug to location. Can anyone help me with what facts I need to know when selecting a cord to accommodate this? Gauge? I'm buying from amazon.com so if anyone wants to point me in the correction direction, thanks!

How many amps is your freezer pulling?

The needed gauge is dependant on the max amperage of the load and the length of the run (cord). The outlet it is plugged into has nothing/little to do with it. You can find many tables to help you with this online. Teach a man to fish...blah blah blah.

The needed gauge is dependant on the max amperage of the load and the length of the run (cord). The outlet it is plugged into has nothing/little to do with it. You can find many tables to help you with this online. Teach a man to fish...blah blah blah.

The point, you missed it.

Drawing less amperage than the coord is rated for will hurt nothing, and a 15 amp, 15 foot coord is a common product.

Thus, unless this appliance is an uncommon oddity and has a peak amperage of say 20, then the whole issue is moot anyway unless he has outlets rated for same, and even then buying a coord based on the max amperage of the outlet it's being plugged into still applies.

extension_cords.png

Hahaha...it's something dumb I made up with years ago...my name in real life is Tom...so I stuck it in the middle of brettanomyces...it's dorky I know

Hahaha...it's something dumb I made up with years ago...my name in real life is Tom...so I stuck it in the middle of brettanomyces...it's dorky I know

Haha name is great now :D

I just have this pet peeve of when people want to mess with brett before their sanitation practices are sound...

I have my freezer on a 14 gauge cord. Partially because I had it lying around, and partially because I didn't want something stupid to happen.

HD or Lowes has 'em pretty cheap.

Latest posts

Back