Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Need a brew for the SWMBO

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
BWRIGHT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Need a brew for the SWMBO

Just getting my feet wet with homebrewing. My SWMBO tolerates my brewing, but she would be much more forgiving if I could brew something she will drink. Like most BMC drinkers, I think she just generally doesn't like the flavor of hops, or malt. I've made her take a sample of every beer I've bought in the last 6mos. The only thing she truly said she could "tolerate" was Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Go figure. Must be the chocolate. Anyway, I'm looking for advice on something she might like. I've seen kits for hard lemonades that I'm sure must be better than the commercial stuff. The problem is, I don't have the capability to brew any lagers or pilsners right now. Ed Worts Aplefwein seems to be pretty popular. But, I'm sure neither of us will like it if it tastes anything like Woodchuck, or something like that. Surely, you guys can help me on this. Any advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 02:51 AM   #2
PintOfBitter
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

from what I've heard, Caramel Cream Ale FTW.

You can find it here.

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Why not make her a mead (aka honey wine).

Make a big production of it, make her think you are slaving away at it. But really, you just heat pasteurize some honey water, cool it by adding it to cold water, add yeast, toss it in a carboy, and aerate. Takes about an hour start to finish.

Much easier than beer... and tasty too. IMHO, brew days are too few and far between to try to placate somebody who doesn't love beer to begin with.

Or, if all else fails, hefeweizens are very popular and served with a lemon. Chicks seem to like anything that's served with fruit.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:09 AM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think you would be best off finding something commercial she likes and then brew something similar. I would start with blonde ales, cream ales, wheat beers.

Ed's apfelwein is not like Woodchuck. It is much drier, less sweet and a lot more alcohol. I suggest starting some of it ASAP.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
I think you would be best off finding something commercial she likes and then brew something similar. I would start with blonde ales, cream ales, wheat beers.

Ed's apfelwein is not like Woodchuck. It is much drier, less sweet and a lot more alcohol. I suggest starting some of it ASAP.

+1 that's some good advice.

+1 again appfelwien is really good and it's inexpensive to make.

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Old 02-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You also don't need to brew a whole 5 gallons of Apfelwein if you're worried you and SWMBO won't like it. It is one of those easily scaled beginning recipes. Some people brew up only a gallon in an old wine jug. Of course you might be like most of us and like it and regret not making more...so be prepared on drinking day to brew up a 5 gallon batch.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
lembeck2001
Recipes 

Get a couple bottles of Apple Pucker and "bottle" that.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

If she likes Young's, then maybe think of other commercial beers like that. Maybe other stouts, to see if she would like them.

I really dislike fruited beer, or anything sweet. (The caramel cream ale on here was a dumper for me- it was like cream soda with beer added- grosser than gross). I know some women do like that, but I'd say skip the gimmick stuff and make a beer that she would like.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

yeah I wish it were as easy as bottling pucker. She doesn't like most beer, but she's not retarted. Hell she wouldn't drink that crap either. I was kind of hoping someone has been in this situation before. She likes BMC, but I can't do anything that light. Mead may be an option. Although, I had a honey wine the other day (if that is the same as mead) and it was awful. I don't like wine, but this stuff was even worse. If anybody has any more suggestions, I sure could use them. Aplefwein sounds like my best bet now. If I go that route, I will make a full 5G batch. If its that strong, it will get drank.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #10
Crazytwoknobs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific

QFT

Also, as far as scalability, Revvy is right on. Both my carboys are full, so I grabbed three emptied 1gal wine jugs from a sorority house and got some #6.5 (#6 are better) stoppers and airlocks. I've got two slightly different batches of Apfelwein goin now, and I think the total cost was like $12 (equipment + ingredients).

Marbles baby, marbles.

Quick Reply