Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Need beer recommendations for my wedding

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
emoutal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Need beer recommendations for my wedding

This might seem early, but I want to make sure I have time to perfect any recipe. I am getting married next summer, a smallish wedding (less than 40 people) that will basically be a BBQ. My job is the beer.

I would like to have 2 or 3 beers on tap. I want crowd pleasing beers. Not everyone is a BMC drinker, but most aren't too adventurous, so no double IPA or something like that. I have already decided on a Pale Ale, I have a recipe that I am tweaking and I think it's almost ready.

One problem (well, not really a problem) is that we will be having a pre-honeymoon and will be travelling for about 3 months before the wedding, coming back a few weeks before. This sort of eliminates my other choice which would have been a hefeweissen, which would be much better fresh.

So what are some beers that are great summer crowd pleasing beers that taste great when they are 3-4 months old?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
grayburn
Recipes 

What about a saison, or if lagering is an option, you can't beat a nice pils in the heat. It can lager while you honeymoon.

My lady loves beer and I have yet to conquer the world....the kaiser lied.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
emoutal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sorry, I forgot to mention that I don't have lagering ability and don't plan on having it anytime soon.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A few weeks is plenty of time for a hefeweizen, especially when kegging. You can be drinking that puppy 2 weeks after brewday.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
emoutal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_e5 View Post
A few weeks is plenty of time for a hefeweizen, especially when kegging. You can be drinking that puppy 2 weeks after brewday.
I know it's probably possible to do that, but I think I'd rather have the beer ready to go when I get back. I'm sure there will be plenty of other things to do, so having the beer either kegged or in secondary would be the best. So the beers will be 3-4 months old (or older if needed).

Old 07-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I hear Centennial Blonde is a crowd pleaser. I also hear it is good young, but ought to be damn fine with a couple of months on it too. (my batch of the same just went into bottles, so I won't have any direct experience for a couple of weeks).

Maybe something else nice and crisp, but different still, for the third beer. Maybe something light with rye?

And a batch of Apfelwine in case things get out of hand, or need to.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

American Amber you can turn around quickly, and so long you avoid infection it is ALWAYS a crowd pleaser.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Summertime, I would go with Centennial Blonde or Cream of Three Crops (for the BMC), a hefe or rye or saison and then an IPA. Don't make anything too high in alcohol or you will have 40 people passed out right quick.

This selection will keep everyone happy and not be too overbearing. I love stout too, but I don't think that it would go to quickly in a crowd setting.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
skeeordye11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm way off, but you could brew a lager of some sort and esentially cold condition in the corny in the refrigerator while you are gone. If your going away for 3 months, I would assume there really wouldn't be much you'd have to keep in there thus having plaenty of room to throw your corny in there to condition. Just ferment as cool as you can with the wet t-shirt method and she should benefit from a 3 month cold condition. Sound good or am I completely off my rocker here?

Old 07-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeordye11 View Post
Someone correct me if I'm way off, but you could brew a lager of some sort and esentially cold condition in the corny in the refrigerator while you are gone. If your going away for 3 months, I would assume there really wouldn't be much you'd have to keep in there thus having plaenty of room to throw your corny in there to condition. Just ferment as cool as you can with the wet t-shirt method and she should benefit from a 3 month cold condition. Sound good or am I completely off my rocker here?
You're 100% correct. Just make sure you pressurize to seal the gasket, and burp the corney before set and forgetting.

You may want to throw in a carboy to clear for a day for further settling to ensure that doesn't come up when tapping the keg, but that is how I lager.

Quick Reply