Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Need advice on setting up Quickbooks for my brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
seabeemech1970
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need advice on setting up Quickbooks for my brewery

I setting up the accounting system for my brewery and need some advice from those who have experience or have set Quickbooks up for a brewery.
I have Quickbooks Premium 2012 for Manufacturing and Warehouse Edition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
jheld00
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you talking about a legit pro brewery or just your home brewing brewery?

Old 07-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
seabeemech1970
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheld00
Are you talking about a legit pro brewery or just your home brewing brewery?
Legit 3000bbl/yr production brewey

Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
jheld00
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hire an accountant...

Old 07-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheld00 View Post
Hire an accountant...
This might be taken as sarcasm or snotty, but its on the money (pun!). Consider spending your time doing stuff that you are an expert in (beer, your business) and let someone who knows what they are doing do the accounting. It will probably save you money in the long run. I don't think I've ever heard anyone with a small business say, "Golly, I wish I did my accounting myself."

Old 07-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson

This might be taken as sarcasm or snotty, but its on the money (pun!). Consider spending your time doing stuff that you are an expert in (beer, your business) and let someone who knows what they are doing do the accounting. It will probably save you money in the long run. I don't think I've ever heard anyone with a small business say, "Golly, I wish I did my accounting myself."
+1
At that size you should be able to have a person handle your books 1 day per week, you don't need someone every day, book keeping can be done in half a day and an accountant or the book keeper can then compile your monthlies as well

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
riverfrontbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As a CPA I agree w this......at least start out w a good bookkeeper to get you set up.....bad books will cost you more at the end of the year than a few hours w a bookkeeper now.

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheld00 View Post
Hire an accountant...

Old 07-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
boss429
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Go all the way and get an ERP....go with an ERP integrator

QB doesn't really handle beer accounting that well especially because of the TTB.

http://wearethepractitioners.com/201...beer-dont-mix/

It can but youll probably need an add on like fishbowl or misys...or numbercruncher (according to people on probrewer never played with it though) your erp integrator will advise.

Here are some cost estimates

http://www.mikeonmanufacturing.com/m...age-cost-.html

check out beer orchestrated(sap business one) as well...and beerrun(sage)..these are turn key brewery ERP systems

here is an example of NB crazy set up..

Best of Luck!

Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
jstofer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I will echo what riverfrontbrewer said. Being a banker and dealing with very large farming operations, I am sometimes at a loss for the quality of financials that I see. If you are that large and trying to track inventory, etc, then it would definitely be well worth your money to get this done. Especially, if you are going to require any type of financing. Also, as you look to grow and your financing needs expand, you'll likely be looking at needing review quality financial statements, at a minimum compiled, and it is much, much cheaper to have an accountant on the front end. It will also help you for tax planning when you get to year end.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
johnnymax
Recipes 

I sure wish somebody would have given advice on how to set up Quickbooks for a brewery, because from what I understand if set up correctly is can help with the overall management. It can generate the numbers you need to have to fill out your State and Federal paperwork with the click of a button (which otherwise can take hours). It can help you manage your supply chain to help you keep inventory for grains, hops, yeast etc. so you don't run out. It helps you keep track of your inventory of beer and its distribution. Not to mention if you self distribute like us, you need to keep track of all your retailers, information, orders, invoices, delivery and deposits. If it is setup wrong, then you are really at a disadvantage. I am researching how to setup Quickbooks for my brewery, so It will help me manage it. I have an accountant, but she just handles the money, not brewery management.

John
Texas Big Beer Brewery

Johnny MAX
Texas Big Beer Brewery

Quick Reply