Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Need advice on serving from kegs at a reception

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
rviator325
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need advice on serving from kegs at a reception

We're having our wedding reception this Saturday at a Firefighters Hall (converted from a large suburb house) and would like some suggestions and ideas on how best to serve beer from kegs. I don't have any homebrew ready and acceptable for my guests, so we ordered two kegs from the local beer store. Don't hate me for this, but one of the kegs is a BMC, in order to please most people. The other is New Belgium Fat Tire.

Anyways, the Hall usually has a kegerator setup for two kegs with a nice dual-tap tower. Unfortunately, they've been remodeling for the last month and even though the majority of the place is finished and ready, we were told yesterday the kegerator will not be ready by this Saturday; I don't know why, they called the wife. So I've got a few ideas in my head, and without actually bringing in my own kegerator, I'd like to hear what you guys think. SWMBO just asked for it not to be too tacky (i.e. she doesn't want to see people doing keg-stands).

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Pierce
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I went to a wedding a couple of months ago where they keep the keg in a ice tub and behind the table they set up to serve beer and wine. It was a budget wedding so no bar tenders, but the groomsmen and ushers took turns serving wine and beer with a party tap. Not the classiest thing, but it did stop the normal college party crowd from forming around the keg.

"I didn't do it. Unless I was suppose to do it. In that case, I definitely did do it." ~My response to everything.

Life is good. Death is pleasant. Its just the transition that is troublesome.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Pierce
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Oh...dumb me. Congratulations on the marriage. Hope its a great day.

"I didn't do it. Unless I was suppose to do it. In that case, I definitely did do it." ~My response to everything.

Life is good. Death is pleasant. Its just the transition that is troublesome.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Jockey box and co2 tank.

P.S. Congratulations!!

Old 03-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
rviator325
Recipes 

Jockey Box, I like that idea. I hadn't heard of that before but I can see how it would come in handy. Of the option of SS tubing or a cold plate, the cold plate would seem more versatile (bottom of cooler during a camping trip?); and is a cold plate the same device some people use for chilling wort from boiling to pitching temperature?

Has anyone successfully walked into a store and purchased the SS tubing or cold plate without waiting days for an ebay order? Looking on the web, it appears a beer store in Seattle rents out Jockey Boxes, but for just a little bit more money then a rental, I wouldn't mine owning one.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

You might be able to rent a jockey box our beer distributor has them.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 03-26-2010, 04:04 AM   #7
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Call the place where you got the kegs from. Chances are they'll have a setup ready to go.
B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #8
Austin_
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rviator325 View Post
i.e. she doesn't want to see people doing keg-stands

Thanks!
Some of the best weddings I've been to had people doing keg stands.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad coffee View Post
Call the place where you got the kegs from. Chances are they'll have a setup ready to go.
B
This /\ /\

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 03-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
rviator325
Recipes 

Default DIY Jockey Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_ View Post
Some of the best weddings I've been to had people doing keg stands.
Who know's what might happen after the parents and non-drinkers go home!

I called the distributor and all they have is a hand-pump tap to rent with the kegs. I've had bad experiences with those in the past and didn't really want to ask my guests to continually pump the keg. So I called around to other LHBS and found one that had 2-line cold plates in stock. So I made the trip over and bought all the hardware to make my own Jockey Box and rig up with my 20lb CO2 tank. The cost was high, but I will definitely be reusing everything. I also added the price up online and it was withing $10, so I'm happy.

I started the build last night and will finish tonight or tomorrow morning when we do the setup at the hall. Seems pretty cool and if it works as advertised, I'm taking this baby camping with me. I'll snap some photos and upload them this weekend.

Also, does anyone know for sure if I can use this with a pump and chill hot wort with it? It's technically a plate chiller (right?), but not advertised as a wort-plate chiller.

Thanks for the tip and hope it goes well. We also have a bunch of liquor, so our guests have options.

Quick Reply