Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > NC officially bans smoking in bars / restaurants

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 01:07 AM   #21
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My smoking friends adapted pretty quick when the law was passed here. Now they smoke less and consider the outside smoking area as the cool kid's club.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2009, 02:22 AM   #22
Casey27
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBrain View Post
I'm a hypocrite on this issue. CA banned smoking years ago and I love it

However, I never could have voted for the ban if I were a legislator, and I don't agree with it.

But I love not smelling like an ash tray when I go out.
Same here, I love being able to breath better in my favorite bars, but on the other hand it is going really far towards telling private businesses how to run themselves... Non-smokers like me always had the option of not going to smoking establishments - spending our money in non-smoking places instead.

But I have to say - the formerly "smoking" bars and restaurants are getting a lot more of my money now!

Old 05-14-2009, 04:25 AM   #23
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

Wow, I'm from NC and have lived in CO for ~10 years now. Never thought I would see the day this would pass. It sure will make going back home to hang out with old friends in the local bars a lot more pleasant. The ban in CO has been in place for a long time now, but every time I go back to NC, I come back from the bar (almost any bar) smelling like an ashtray. I'm happy it passed.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:54 AM   #24
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

San Antonio is the top 7th city in terms of population, but they still haven't banned smoking in bars. They banned smoking in restaurants a long time ago to much applause...

I mean, even Houston and Dallas banned smoking in bars/clubs a while back and people are very happy about it. Sure, the business owners were up in arms initially, but their business has largely increased since the ban.

I will be elated when SA bans smoking inside bars/clubs.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 05-14-2009, 05:10 AM   #25
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts

The smoking ban that surprised me the most was Mexico City last year. I go there a lot for work. They didn't even have smoking sections before the ban. Many of the nicer restaurants had cigar humidors under the desert cart!

It was glorious! A juicy corn-fed steak dinner followed up with a Cuban and some fiine sippin' tequila. This was normal. No dirty looks from the next table eating their soups and salads.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:20 AM   #26
ColbyPants
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCityALER View Post
Well SH$T!!! I live in NC and have enjoyed our freedom from this ban thus far. I smoke. I love to smoke while I'm drinking out. Oh well. What's next? Homebrewers? Freedom... I guess.

Yep, nobody cares about rights infringed upon until its the right they want to keep, and by then it is usually too late.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #27
Jaymo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You all can talk about freedoms being taken away and rights infriged upon, but it's tough to go out to a bar where I live, as a non-smoker, and have the freedom to breath without being forced to breath a bunch of secondhand smoke. What about the rights of non-smokers?

I have no problem with what people do as long as they keep it to themselves. Shoot heroine and keep it in private for all I care. When you force it on others though, it's a problem.

edit: One thing I should add is that I'm a professional jazz guitarist and have really started to notice the effects of having to work in other people's secondhand smoke lately. I don't even go out for drinks as much as I used to because of all the smoke. Luckily, I've found one or 2 smoke free bars 45 minutes from me that have decent beer. Kind of a long drive though.

Last edited by Jaymo; 05-14-2009 at 06:01 AM.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #28
TheCapn22
Recipes 

I enjoy smoke free bars and restaurants, but I am definitely against it. Like it or not smoking is LEGAL. Ban it in public areas? Definitely. The government has no business telling PRIVATE organizations what they can and can't do when said activity is legal.

I'm not a smoker, and hate everything that cigarettes are. But the whole "slippery slope" mantra applies here. Just because it's something that you yourself don't enjoy, doesn't mean it's okay to take away that right from other people.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #29
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That really surprises me that it passed, I would have bet the farm that the bill would fail, living in NC all my life, and working tobacco part of it, I can say I never would have even thought a possibility could exist as banning smoking in public businesses much less a privately owned place, I dont smoke but like some of the others suggested, this is a travesty, and has to be against your freedoms. I just hope they dont want to ban Homebrewing

Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #30
hopdog
Recipes 

Yesterday Maine passed a law prohibiting smoking from public places like beaches etc. Our restaurants have been smoke free for a long time and it is great.

There was a diner whose clientele all smoked, drank coffee, lingered. The owners railed against the ban. Once it went into effect they found the smokers tended not to linger. The owner was pleasantly surprised to find the diner had a higher rate of table turn-over and their business increased substantially.

Quick Reply