The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > NC officially bans smoking in bars / restaurants

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #221
Synovia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
If there were no non-smoking bars to begin with, is there a real demand for them???
Seeing how business in bars has gone way up, clearly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #222
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
There is no public demand for rats. Dumb argument.
Its not about public demand though, isn't it about property rights? Shouldn't a restraunt owner have the right to have rats? Its a slipperly slope. Where does it end?

Old 05-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #223
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Its not about public demand though, isn't it about property rights? Shouldn't a restraunt owner have the right to have rats? Its a slipperly slope. Where does it end?
Clearly, it began at bathroom exhaust fans, and ultimately, it ends at homebrew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 05-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #224
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Fatty Arbuckle having a 5th double cheesburger has no effect on me sitting next to him.. unless he craps himself or farts while doing so.
Well, I guess you're right about that.

My point is that allowing the government to make decisions for me regarding what I can and can't do in what is healthy and what isn't would tell me that I'm just intellectually lazy and unwilling to bear self-responsibility.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 05-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #225
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
My point is that allowing the government to make decisions for me regarding what I can and can't do in what is healthy and what isn't would tell me that I'm just intellectually lazy and unwilling to bear self-responsibility.
Its not about what you can or can't do. Its about what you can or can't do to someone else.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #226
Ego Archive
Recipes 

Quote:
Before the bans in my state (was MA, now IL), I had never seen a non smoking bar, so no, that wasn't a choice.
People keep bringing this up, but it doesn't make any sense to me. You still have a choice, you just may need to go further then your used to, or open one yourself, or convince a local establishment with collective buying power.

In my city there are no resturants that serve Bunny. So is it the onerous of the collective resturant owners to start selling rabbit legs because I have a craving for deep fried longear? No, I can either go to someplace that has rabit on the menu...probably not in my state, or I can open up a rabbit serving resturant. If those aren't an option, then it is up to me to find a resturant that is receptive to doing a bunny special once a week, or something like that.

Planning:SWMBO Berry wine, Imperial Coffee Stout, Shaved Nut(s) Brown ale.
In Primary:Apfelwein, American Pale Ale
In Secondary:
Conditioning:Sweet Chocolate Stout
On Tap: Apple Clove Mead (Bottled), 120 IPA Clone,Thanksgiving Amber Gruit (yuck), Pyment, Sweet Chocolate Stout

Old 05-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #227
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Its not about what you can or can't do. Its about what you can or can't do to someone else.
Then don't go to a smoking establishment. Look, if you read some of my previous posts, you should be able to infer that I'm not of the opinion that smoking should be allowed anywhere and everywhere. But what bothers me is that the public was virtually silent, while laws were made under the guise of worker safety. The non-smoking majority sat back and let it happen because they (dare I say, we) don't like breathing in second-hand smoke in restaurants and other public establishments.

What else could that happen to now? That's essentially how prohibition started. I fully agree that indoor public smoking should have been significantly decreased. But as I said before, there were other ways to accomplish this than to counter-act the fundamental freedoms of enterprise we enjoy in this nation.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 05-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #228
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
While I quit smoking over a year ago, I feel that if I want to open a bar that caters to smokers who want to bring their pets I should be allowed to. We are way past half way down the slippery slope
Wow my post was on page 2 and we are talking from different sides of the argument

Quick Reply