Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > NC officially bans smoking in bars / restaurants

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

It's amazing how across-the-board repressive we feel it is necessary to be in this country- the legacy of those New England Puritans, whether it's on the right or the left, is alive and well.

We were in Spain when their smoking law went into effect three years ago, and I thought it was pretty well thought out. Of course smoking in the workplace was pretty much eliminated, unless you were out-of-doors. As far as privately owned public establishments, it's divided into places below and above so many square meters in area (I think it's 100). If it's above, it either has to be non-smoking, or divided according to very strict standards into smoking and non-smoking....this means with walls, separate ventilation, the whole enchilada......for all intents and purposes two distinct and isolated serving areas within the same business. The smaller establishments get to choose one way or the other, with what the place is posted unmistakably outside. We don't have that much sense, regrettably.

NB: I also feel obliged to point out that what we are doing in this country applies to a completely legal, government approved (and heavily taxed) activity, and in all 50 states.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It's good news for me. My fiancee refuses to go to bars where smoking is allowed because she is irritated by the smoke and dislikes smelling like smoke afterwards. This means she'll accompany me to any place now, including the flying saucer! Can you say designated driver!?

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #13
QueenCityALER
Recipes 

Well SH$T!!! I live in NC and have enjoyed our freedom from this ban thus far. I smoke. I love to smoke while I'm drinking out. Oh well. What's next? Homebrewers? Freedom... I guess.

Hell or High water Brewery

All Brews: ALL GRAIN ALL THE TIME!

Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #14
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

While I quit smoking over a year ago, I feel that if I want to open a bar that caters to smokers who want to bring their pets I should be allowed to. We are way past half way down the slippery slope

Old 05-13-2009, 11:32 PM   #15
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
NC is the Tobacco state. It'd be the last place imaginable that I thought this would happen.
That really surprises me. I never thought it would go through.

I moved to NC about 5 years ago, and they still allowed smoking in colleges. In the cafeteria there was no smoke free zone. People smoked everywhere, it was an odd sight.

I just finished at UNC in Pembroke, and just this last semester, they banned smoking in all buildings, how many years behind most states.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #16
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

It's nice being able to go to a bar, a club, or a concert in NJ/NYC without smelling like one of you filthy, stinky, yellow teeth/fingered people. Now if only my office building banned it from the premises then I wouldn't have to smell it in the elevator or passing in the hallway...

Old 05-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #17
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
It's amazing how across-the-board repressive we feel it is necessary to be in this country- the legacy of those New England Puritans, whether it's on the right or the left, is alive and well.

We were in Spain when their smoking law went into effect three years ago, and I thought it was pretty well thought out. Of course smoking in the workplace was pretty much eliminated, unless you were out-of-doors. As far as privately owned public establishments, it's divided into places below and above so many square meters in area (I think it's 100). If it's above, it either has to be non-smoking, or divided according to very strict standards into smoking and non-smoking....this means with walls, separate ventilation, the whole enchilada......for all intents and purposes two distinct and isolated serving areas within the same business. The smaller establishments get to choose one way or the other, with what the place is posted unmistakably outside. We don't have that much sense, regrettably.

NB: I also feel obliged to point out that what we are doing in this country applies to a completely legal, government approved (and heavily taxed) activity, and in all 50 states.
I wish this is how it was here in the States. It doesn't bother me either way, but I smoke when I drink. Not just one or two either, I usually smoke like a regular smoker while drinking and then cut it out of my life for 5 days a week.

I don't understand why it has to be so black and white here. If a bar wants to take the risk either way, by either cutting out their smoking or anti-smoking clientele they should be able to take that risk on their own.

I've been to bars before where smoking was allowed indoors in the winter and as soon as it got warm out it was only allowed on the patio.

Whats wrong with that, I ask?

Reusable Pry-Off Bottles Wiki

Old 05-14-2009, 12:57 AM   #18
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCityALER View Post
Well SH$T!!! I live in NC and have enjoyed our freedom from this ban thus far. I smoke. I love to smoke while I'm drinking out. Oh well. What's next? Homebrewers? Freedom... I guess.
Well, I don't smoke but I think I am going to start taking a spit-bottle in with me if it is only marked "No Smoking" and not "Tobacco Free".

I think every place should have the right to decide for themselves, but one way or the other and not with a "smoking section". That is like having a peeing section in the pool in my opinion. If a restaurant or bar was either all smoking or no smoking, then people could frequent their preference and "vote" with their money. If a business banned smoking then found themselves going hungry, then they would know they made the wrong decision. But if me and the wife and kids all smoked, then we could still choose a smoking place. Know what I mean?

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 05-14-2009, 12:59 AM   #19
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Everyone acted like the sky was falling in Oklahoma a few years back when they went this way. Although I think you can still smoke in the bars there. As far as eating out, I'd rather make the short drive across the border to eat smoke-free than stay here and eat smoke.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:04 AM   #20
BrewBrain
Aleforger

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm a hypocrite on this issue. CA banned smoking years ago and I love it

However, I never could have voted for the ban if I were a legislator, and I don't agree with it.

But I love not smelling like an ash tray when I go out.

Quick Reply