The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > NB - Irish Red Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
ZacMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default NB - Irish Red Ale

I have a batch of NB Irish Red in the primary and will be transfering
to secondary this week.
I was planning on handing out 6 packs as Christmas
this year, but apparently Christmas will be on the 15th this year for my wifes family.

It has been in the primary for 9-10 days (Thanksgiving got in the way) and will be in the secondary for about 2 1/2 weeks.

Does anyone see a major problem if I bottle it too early to make the celebration and should I consider leaving it in the primary for the duration of the fermentation.
Thanks!

On-Tap: Oktoberfast Ale
On-Tap: EdWort's Apfelwein
Bottled: Apfelwein, Cali Common
On-Deck:Irish Red, Oatmeal Stout, Guinness Clone - Gettin' ready for the fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

MacKnockel's Brewing Co.

Valparaiso, Indiana

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
and should I consider leaving it in the primary for the duration of the fermentation.
Generally Primary IS the fermenter. The secondary vessel is for conditioning and clearing.

Do you have an Hydrometer. That will allow you to gauge if it is ready for bottling. If it is then it is up to your judgement to say if it is ready to bottle and if you are happy with the conditioning time.

I would leave in the primary until the latest possible day. Bottle and then enforce an opening date at the earliest 4 weeks after bottling and give storage instructions. 4 weeks at room temperature and then chill for 3 days.

The risk of this is that if you do not have an hydrometer you could be handing out bombs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply