Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > NB Dead Ringer: A solid entry in IPA's?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
EHV
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default NB Dead Ringer: A solid entry in IPA's?

Hey guys, with warmer weather rolling around for us in the Northeast, I'm wanting to do a more refreshing lighter beer (Caribou Slobber and Irish Red on tap now) for the warmer months ahead. I can't say I have been a big fan of IPA's mostly due to the fact I can't find any that aren't overwhelmingly bitter, and the finish being so "dry". Even Great Lakes Commodore Perry that people especially like does not sit well with me. My interest was re-ignited when I went to the Marietta Brewery for the house Buck(I)PA. It was refreshing, hoppy, and was bitter, but in a good way.
SO, is the Dead Ringer a good way to get into IPA's and a good warm weather drink? Everybody loves it, but it seems everyone these days is loving the heavily hopped IPA's.
This will be my 5th extract, and I feel I am starting to get the hang of it and learning from my mistakes and want this one to be the best brew yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
mrdauber64
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It's basically a clone of Bell's Two-Hearted ale. Have you tried that beer? It should be something that you can get in Ohio. I personally think it is good, but not overly bitter like it sounds you like. It does finish dry(1.010).

Old 04-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I think Bell's Two-Hearted (and the Dead Ringer clone) is a fantastic beer, but then I like IPAs. I find it to be a bit sweeter and less bitter than many IPAs and that people who generally don't enjoy IPAs often like it. So if you're looking to get into IPAs then give it a shot. I've brewed it both summer and winter and it's a winner anytime of year but I wouldn't classify it as a "warm weather" drink -- if you're looking for something specifically suited to a hot day maybe an American wheat, hefeweisse or saison would be better?

On the other hand there's nothing wrong with sticking to brewing beers you love to drink -- if you don't like IPAs you'll save a ton on hops so maybe you should try not to aquire the taste!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
EHV
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I just ran out to the local store who is supposed to carry it, however, its nowhere to be found. As far as liking IPA's, I liked the BuckIPA I drank, but the others not so much, so theres that line, like Miller Lite, Bud Light, Busch Light, Coors Light. Pretty much the same to me but each one so different.
IPA's are apparently the "in" thing these days, with so many possibilities for HB. Variety is the fruit of life and I'm wanting to make my homebrewing journey just a bit more fruitful.
I've got 5 gallons of Skeeter Pee carbing as we speak so if the DR isn't a winner for a thirst quenching beer, the SP sure will be. I love this hobby.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Bells 2 Hearted is an awesome IPA. I love the single hop character from Centennial, it has some esters, and although firmly in the IPA range of bitterness, its pretty smooth. The NB recipe has just 3 ingredients, and couldn't be much simpler. Very easy to make.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Old 04-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
rpe290
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHV View Post
I just ran out to the local store who is supposed to carry it, however, its nowhere to be found. As far as liking IPA's, I liked the BuckIPA I drank, but the others not so much, so theres that line, like Miller Lite, Bud Light, Busch Light, Coors Light. Pretty much the same to me but each one so different.
IPA's are apparently the "in" thing these days, with so many possibilities for HB. Variety is the fruit of life and I'm wanting to make my homebrewing journey just a bit more fruitful.
I've got 5 gallons of Skeeter Pee carbing as we speak so if the DR isn't a winner for a thirst quenching beer, the SP sure will be. I love this hobby.
I wasn't really a hop-head of any kind until I forced myself to brew the Northern Brewer Evil Twin recipe. Now, I still wouldn't like HARSH bitterness (which I think was a lot of the ones I was used to getting), but I now even IIPA's (Hopslam was great, as were a couple local ones I had in Southern California last fall).

So if you want to like hoppy beers, make yourself something like that with smooth late-hop additions and it may adjust your palate...if you want to save money on hops, DON'T! (Now I find myself buying half-pounds of hops at a time!)

Old 04-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
ricksam
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The Dead Ringer turned out fantastic for me and has gotten many compliments. I have now started using the kit as a base recipe from which to do experiments from like turning it into an IIPA, changing hops, etc. Seems like a good way to learn how some changes in ingredients can effect a beer.....this is the fun of this hobby!

Old 04-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
EHV
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Since I'm not an IPA genius, I went and picked up some DFH 90 Minute IIPA since I couldn't find any Two Hearted . Its ok to me. Not great, not bad, just ok. I have to drink this stuff really cold cause as it warms the hoppiness/floral notes become overwhelmingly suffocating and bitter, guessing since its an IIPA. I finished it off because I can't leave any soldiers behind. Thats my rule. I know for sure I would not enjoy putting away a keg of 90 minute.
Compared to Two Hearted/Dead Ringer, how do these beers differ from the 90m?
As far as saving money......we all know better. If you don't buy hops you will end up buying something else. Lifes to short to go cheap on brew.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 734 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHV
Since I'm not an IPA genius, I went and picked up some DFH 90 Minute IIPA since I couldn't find any Two Hearted . Its ok to me. Not great, not bad, just ok. I have to drink this stuff really cold cause as it warms the hoppiness/floral notes become overwhelmingly suffocating and bitter, guessing since its an IIPA. I finished it off because I can't leave any soldiers behind. Thats my rule. I know for sure I would not enjoy putting away a keg of 90 minute.
Compared to Two Hearted/Dead Ringer, how do these beers differ from the 90m?
As far as saving money......we all know better. If you don't buy hops you will end up buying something else. Lifes to short to go cheap on brew.
Two Hearted is much more balanced and less bitter (and much less alcohol than the 90 minute). It does not have overwhelming tastes of any kind. While I am an IPA fan now, I fell in love with Two Hearted Ale before I knew what IPA stood for...and it continues to be my favorite beer with nothing else even coming close. I do not think the 90 minute IPA is a good comparison at all.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Mostly what you already know: IPA vs IIPA. There's a difference. And the DF is continously hopped, its probably one of the beers that started the hoppy craze.

I think of 2H as almost more of a gateway IPA for people who enjoy pale ales, but not necessarily many IPA's. Its not piney, not resinous, and the bitterness is smoother than sharp. Citrus and medium esters. But its still an IPA. It was my entry into them anyway. Now I firmly like the IPA style and sometimes venture into the mega hopped brews.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Quick Reply