Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > National Homebrew Conference - Help for a NOOB club

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default National Homebrew Conference - Help for a NOOB club

My homebrew club (The GLUB club) has signed up to pour at club night at NHC. We're Philly based, and want to share! At our meeting last night we realized that none of us have ever been to an NHC, and the website is severely lacking with info in this regard (we did learn that we should take our glass everywhere with us, though ). Can a few of you experienced folks help us out? Being total Noobs at this, I'm not even sure we know what questions to ask, but Here are our questions/concerns that have come up:

1) If we have club members that can only make it for club night, do they have to buy the Social – No Banquet ticket or is there another option? Kind of expensive if they are only going to club night.

2) How much beer should we expect to bring/pour at club night?

3) what are logistics like for dropping off beer and setting up our booth. How about tearing down/packing up?

4) Any other suggestions/tips for us? (either as a club or as individuals attending for the first time)

5) Any other suggestions for can't miss events at NHC?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoder View Post
My homebrew club (The GLUB club) has signed up to pour at club night at NHC. We're Philly based, and want to share! At our meeting last night we realized that none of us have ever been to an NHC, and the website is severely lacking with info in this regard (we did learn that we should take our glass everywhere with us, though ). Can a few of you experienced folks help us out? Being total Noobs at this, I'm not even sure we know what questions to ask, but Here are our questions/concerns that have come up:

1) If we have club members that can only make it for club night, do they have to buy the Social – No Banquet ticket or is there another option? Kind of expensive if they are only going to club night.

2) How much beer should we expect to bring/pour at club night?

3) what are logistics like for dropping off beer and setting up our booth. How about tearing down/packing up?

4) Any other suggestions/tips for us? (either as a club or as individuals attending for the first time)

5) Any other suggestions for can't miss events at NHC?
Hey! I have not been there yet either but my club is also going to be there. From what I was told,
1)members pouring at the event do need to purchase at least the social only ticket.
2)A lot, I will try to find out exactly how much we figured out last meeting, but it was a ridiculous amount.
3)Set up I believe is 2 hours before and tear down is only a half hour! They do have the keg drop-off info on the website.
4)Club night is about what club can do the most ridiculous, awesome, funniest booth around, and if you pour the most beer you get a trophy(the golden urinal!)
As for #5 this will also be my first time so I can't really say. If you need anymore info pm me I will do the best I can, our president is helping out a lot with the conference.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

bump. Anyone with experience at an NHC?

Old 02-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 439 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Quote:
bump. Anyone with experience at an NHC?
Here's the first time attendee guide...

http://www.ahaconference.org/confere...ttendee-guide/

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 02-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
OldWorld
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Bring the jockey box, house clamps, multiple regulators...pipe wrench for fittings. A simple foldable table or card table to hold the jockebox will work.

Make a very clear tasting notes sign describing the malts, yeast, hops.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Lst year, my club brought 35 kegs for club night. We hooked a computer up to a flat screen monitor for the beer list.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4778 Times on 3473 Posts
Likes Given: 953

Ha- do you guys remember the Homebrewtalk.com's booth at NHC 2008?
We had kegs, and some people to serve, but they "forgot" us and we ended up in a corner with a hand-written posterboard sign at the last minute.
OllllllllllllllO brought a pizza oven, and we bought some frozen pretzels at Sam's Club, and served those pretzels. We also had a livestream for the people on the forum to watch.

Food is a nice thing to have, since people are walking around drinking and sampling lots of beers (and mead and a few "other" things). I always appreciate things like that, and I normally stop and chat with people who get my attention. I've met some great people that way!

To get in, you have to have bought a ticket. The "social package" doesn't include the seminars (which are great) but does include the Club night, Probrewer's night, and the Hospitality Suite (where some clubs set up and serve during "shifts").

Old 02-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Lst year, my club brought 35 kegs for club night. We hooked a computer up to a flat screen monitor for the beer list.
Holy smokes! Did you go through all of that beer?! Now I'm a little worried we are in over our heads!

Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Holy smokes! Did you go through all of that beer?! Now I'm a little worried we are in over our heads!
Nope, maybe 1/2 of it. My kegs of Rye IPA and Wee Shroomy kicked, but I brought home a partial keg of the Tofu Pale Ale. For some reason, people were kinda scared by it!

www.dennybrew.com

Old 02-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

okay...sounding better...15-ish kegs is starting to sound more realistic for us. Any suggestions for beers that work out well? should we aim for more session beers (low ABV)? old standards (pale ale, dry stout, etc)? something a little different? ...or very different (don't know about a tofu beer!)

How long does club night go on for? How many people should we figure we need to man a booth?

Any pitfalls you have hit in the past that you would advise us to avoid? Anything that newcomers tend to do/not do?

Quick Reply