Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Nanobrewery..Road to failure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Jamil does a "Going Pro" series on Brew Strong. I highly recommend checking it out. He will break it down realistically, and explains why people say you need greater volume, etc, and certainly isn't talking out of his ass.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
Jamil does a "Going Pro" series on Brew Strong. I highly recommend checking it out. He will break it down realistically, and explains why people say you need greater volume, etc, and certainly isn't talking out of his ass.
He also says in the "Nano Equipment" episode that he no longer believes nanos are an automatic fail. His anti-nano attitude was largely built on two things: nanos meant 1/2-1BBL systems, and assuming distribution.

To the OP: go 2-3BBLs if you can, and sell every drop of beer across your own bar. With that and hard work, i believe you can make it. I'm sure as hell gonna try!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Thank you all for.your words.of wisdom... I won't be giving up any time soon but i will plan for hiccups in my path. I do have.a dream to make my brew and serve it to people that will love it and ask for more. I am a hard worker and passionate about my craft but i am not looking to be a slave to the trade since i have a family and that's first in my book....I will proceed with caution and hopefully soon i will be planning a grand opening

Again thanks

Old 03-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #14
japroto
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
There are a series of podcasts from the Brewing Network - the Brew Strong podcasts that are on "Going Pro". There was at least one session on nano & micro breweries and it went pretty deep into where the break even points were.

I'm not sure if what they have to say will ease your mind or not but they're worth a listen.
Great find thanks for sharing

Old 03-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
caver95
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hi Big Cat,

My buddy and I are talking right now about starting a brewery. Beer is definitely my passion, I am half way done with an MBA and I have a background in business. We are sitting down setting some common goals that we want to hit.

While doing a market analysis, I just found out there are something like 5 micros in the works and one recently up and running in my area.

Develop a business plan. go to score.org and find a business mentor. look at your market, and have a clear understanding of who your customers are and what they want. Are they willing to buy enough 5-6 dollar pints and growlers to have a profitable business?

About the people telling you it will never work, how many of them are small business owners? Most people will project their fears and ASSumptions. Something that has always stuck with me that one drill sgt said when I was in the army. "Lead, follow, or get the F#$@ out of the way."

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about writing a business plan.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
Schol-R-LEA
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sorry, but I think that the ones talking out of their rears are the majority of the nano-brewery proponents. We're talking about an industry where even the equipment manufacturers think that their customers are being foolish... I've had this argument with a good friend of mine many times (a veteran, as I am, of the dot-com wars, so you'd think he'd know better), and he fails to see the same thing that most of you are: that 999 out of 1000 businesses fail, no matter what the industry is, and that once you are working at something for a living the specific industry ceases to matter because you'll be spending more time managing the business than running the equipment.

The only thing nano-breweries are good for is for losing your passion for beer.

Boy Toy: You must think I'm a terrible human being...
Punchline: Don't be ridiculous. Nobody thinks you're a human being.
People Like This 
Old 03-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat
Thank you all for.your words.of wisdom... I won't be giving up any time soon but i will plan for hiccups in my path. I do have.a dream to make my brew and serve it to people that will love it and ask for more. I am a hard worker and passionate about my craft but i am not looking to be a slave to the trade since i have a family and that's first in my book....I will proceed with caution and hopefully soon i will be planning a grand opening

Again thanks
I've had a few businesses one successful and one that I drained alot of $$ and time into. If you have a family that relies on your paycheck I would reconsider unless you have a minimum of 2 years wages in the bank.

I'm not saying its not possible but I've worked in the craft biz, understand it and have decent business skills and wouldn't touch a brewing business without an investor.

How about throwing $5k at your hobby and build a backyard bar to chill and serve your brews to friends and family?

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 03-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #18
PanzerBanana
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Our new brewPUB will have been open for a year in about 3 months, and they've already had to add 2 or 3 more fermenters just to kinda keep up with the local demand.

If you've got something good that people want, they'll find you. And if any of them are like me, there's a lot of satisfaction in supporting a brewer in your town.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #19
KVANTAN
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Bowing down to these ridiculous laws is tantamount to endorsing them. Brew away and sell whatever you want just be careful about to whom and whatever fine you have to pay will certainly be less than the costs of compliance. I have seen brokers steal a quarter million dollars from their clients and get a $20,000 fine for it. Our laws are oppressive but in shear quantity unenforceable. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a bus and you have the same right to ignore unjust laws. What jury will convict you? Everyone in this country feels this way.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #20
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVANTAN
Bowing down to these ridiculous laws is tantamount to endorsing them. Brew away and sell whatever you want just be careful about to whom and whatever fine you have to pay will certainly be less than the costs of compliance. I have seen brokers steal a quarter million dollars from their clients and get a $20,000 fine for it. Our laws are oppressive but in shear quantity unenforceable. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a bus and you have the same right to ignore unjust laws. What jury will convict you? Everyone in this country feels this way.
What the heck are you talking about? This is terrible advice. The difficulty of starting a successful business has far less than to do with unjust laws than it has to do with the fact that succeeding in a capitalist system is MEANT to be hard work, and many are going to fail as a result. If OP wants to start a business with every fiber of his being, he should, and if he works hard, and is smart about his business steps, he can make it. He shouldn't risk his enterprise violating laws, and even if he did, in no way is it comparable to Rosa Parks.

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

People Like This 

Quick Reply