Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Nanobrewery..Road to failure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #1
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Nanobrewery..Road to failure

I've been told so many times that even though my recipes are nice and my brew is a product that people would love to buy that if i go in as a nano brewery of less than 5bbl I will fail and if i don't have the backings to keep me and my bills covered for at least six months that again i will fail...i am so upset and no one to vent with so i decided to vent here... I love this country but its sad that our government (elected officials ) make it so hard for a.starting business to succeed .... I won't give in but today i am a little down..Tomorrow will be another day and i will start my day with a fresh head on my shoulders ...

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

They are full of sh*t and talking out their collective a$$e$.

The issue is you will be brewing a lot more often so keeping a 9-5 then heading to brew and still maintaining a life is rough.

A very succesful place here has ran off a 2bbl system for the last two years and has expanded each of those years considerably while still earning enough to recently jump to a 7bbl system in cash.

I wouldn't call that failure, I would call that a lot of hard work that is paying off in spades.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
Big_Cat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
They are full of sh*t and talking out their collective a$$e$.

The issue is you will be brewing a lot more often so keeping a 9-5 then heading to brew and still maintaining a life is rough.

A very succesful place here has ran off a 2bbl system for the last two years and has expanded each of those years considerably while still earning enough to recently jump to a 7bbl system in cash.

I wouldn't call that failure, I would call that a lot of hard work that is paying off in spades.
Thank you...i needed to read something like this

Old 03-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
morticus
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 53 Posts

There is a successful place here brewing off a 1bbl system.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

There are a series of podcasts from the Brewing Network - the Brew Strong podcasts that are on "Going Pro". There was at least one session on nano & micro breweries and it went pretty deep into where the break even points were.

I'm not sure if what they have to say will ease your mind or not but they're worth a listen.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #6
latium
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Here is one HBT member's experience with going pro. Not to discourage you or anything, but it's better to have a clear picture of everything up front and have all your "Oh @#$%" moments now than to have a bunch of them months into the process.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #7
hopstupid
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Our local one here started with a 3 barrel system. I think having a tasting room is key $5 dollar pints pay the bills no middleman.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #8
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 68

It is true though that you need quite a bit of money up front, even for a nano. You can't even apply for a license until you have leased a building. Depending on your state the licensing can easily take 3-6 months. So that is 6 months you are paying rent...but have no income coming in. Again depending on your location that alone can be 10K. I think realistically you should have at least 25k-50k in hand before you even start down that road. Have you considered running a Kickstarter program? Quite a few nano's have gone that route to get the initial 25-50k to get the ball rolling!! It is also a big confidence booster if people are willing to financially support you and your dream. Nano's CAN be financially viable on a small scale....you probably won't be able to raise a family on one but you can absolutely make money.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 03-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #9
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would HIGHLY recommend working in a craft brewery before even bothering with this dream. I work in one and is NOTHING like home brewing. It is filled full of long days and hard work.

isleofman Likes This 
Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #10
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
I would HIGHLY recommend working in a craft brewery before even bothering with this dream. I work in one and is NOTHING like home brewing. It is filled full of long days and hard work.
That is a good point. A larger production brewery is basically the same as working in any factory.....it's just a little bit cooler since they making beer vs. widgets. Bottomline though it is still a factory. A nanobrewery though doesn't have to be that way and that is the beauty of it. Of course you will still have the long days and hard work....can't get away from that. Somebody operating a 1-3bbl nano has MUCH more flexibility in changing up beer styles, especially if they sell most of their beer via a tap room. There isn't a huge difference in producing 93 gallons of beer vs. 10 gallons. We aren't talking bottling lines, canning lines, hundreds of kegs, etc..

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Quick Reply