Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Nano Brewery anyone???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #51
Matty22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyShamrock View Post
I was actually thinking about trying this. Setting up a very basic business, just getting small loans from family, brewing out of a small warehouse or garage kind of a thing, and kegging and putting some in cases and six packs and just selling to restaurants within 20 miles or whatever, very small distribution. But then again I've been reading Sam Calagione's book "Brewing Up a Business" so my head is full of delusions of grandeur...
I had the same issue while reading that. Couldn't stop thinking, "Hey I could do that!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #52
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 68

This is one of the original threads that got me thinking about opening my own nanobrewery. It has been a couple of years and up until a few months ago I was really excited about the nano concept. I did a ton of research and talked to some licensed nanobrewers. It became pretty apparent though that nano's as a business model is a break even proposition and that you need to have some sort of "end game" in mind. The successful nano's aren't staying small...they are expanding into being full fledged micros. That is the beauty of nanobreweries...the ability to start small and turn it into something bigger. My problem was that my city wouldn't let my use my detached garage as the brewery ala Healdsburg, Old Hangtown, Chappell, etc....An attempted zoning variance would cost several thousand dollars. I also wasn't looking for a career change or even a side business. As cheesy as it may sound I just wanted to get the beer to the people!!
Anyways.....here is my point. I do have a nanobrewery!! I just call it a non-commerical nanobrewery. I brew beer, pour at beer festivals, sell t-shirts, donate brewing sessions for charity auctions, etc... I do everything EXCEPT sell beer. I think in so many ways it is easier. No paperwork, licensing, taxes, zoning laws, stress, rent etc....I have lots of friends who come by for growlers. They know I don't charge for the beer but they still feel obligated to pay me back. They have bought me lunch, given me gift cards, help with brewery maintence, and occasionally left a "funny piece of paper" on my workbench. I think it is awesome what the "professional" nanobrewers are achieving and maybe someday I will join them. But for right now I am pretty happy being a "non-commercial nanobrewer" Cheers!!

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 05-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #53
TubBrewer
Recipes 

Default Nano Brewery Questions??

Hello everyone,

The nano brewery idea has been something I have been kicking around for sometime. If anyone has any contacts who have actually tried this I would love to talk with them to find about their and experiences and how they would recommend to proceed in getting something like this setup. Additionally, I am considering doing this in Chicago and welcome any information on local laws concerning this topic.

PM me anytime...TubBrewer

Quick Reply