New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Nano Brewery anyone???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #21
z987k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor View Post
That is a lot of work for very little product going out the door!

It reminds me of a guy who wanted to use our pilot equipment to make a 1 bbl batch of beer. "How long will it take?" he asked. "About 6 hours" we replied. "But how long does it take you to brew your full 28 bbls?" "About 6 hours."

He figured a small batch would only take a couple hours. In reality (the moral here) it takes about the same time to produce a large batch as it does a small one.

But I guess I am missing the nano point - it is about the beer and not the nano money.

You want to make a small fortune brewing? Start with a large fortune.
That's what I don't get. It applies to almost all scales. A batch of beer, doesn't really matter the size takes the same amount of time. So would you like $10 back for your 6 hours or $1000?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #22
krausenmustache
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
That's what I don't get. It applies to almost all scales. A batch of beer, doesn't really matter the size takes the same amount of time. So would you like $10 back for your 6 hours or $1000?
The difference is the cost of equipment and space. Im sure if 90% of the people on this forum had unlimited funds they would set up a 30+ bbl setup in a 10,000sqft warehouse. But when working with limited disposable income, putting together a 1bbl setup in your detached garage is something that could be done reasonably and would be a lot of fun. But brewing 1bbl is excessive for someone whos only feeding beers to his buddies. If you could turn virtually any profit, its worth it, IMO.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #23
z987k

Recipes 

yeah but at 1bbl you can make more money taking collections when your friends come over.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:23 AM   #24
krausenmustache
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
yeah but at 1bbl you can make more money taking collections when your friends come over.
not if you have cheap ass friends.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #25
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think the cool idea here is that you can start out brewing 10 gallons a few times a week and sell it with almost no investment other than renting the small space and paying whatever licensing fees there are. Most of us can brew 10 gallons already.

Then as you get more sales or accounts, you can move to 20 gallons without much investment, or move to 1BBL with some new pots, etc. No need to get the $3,000,000 loan to open up something with a 7BBL capacity.

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #26
z987k

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing link View Post
I think the cool idea here is that you can start out brewing 10 gallons a few times a week and sell it with almost no investment other than renting the small space and paying whatever licensing fees there are. Most of us can brew 10 gallons already.

Then as you get more sales or accounts, you can move to 20 gallons without much investment, or move to 1BBL with some new pots, etc. No need to get the $3,000,000 loan to open up something with a 7BBL capacity.

Linc
you forget the cost of all the inspections and licenses. They cost a lot. You're probably looking at an absolute minimum of 2k there.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #27
tspilker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bah, I hate the problems that come with business dealings with "Sin products"

Uncle Sam will tax you to death to do something like this. Its hard enough for the little guy in America these days, I can't imagine a nano-brewery's problems.

I hear Washington and Oregon just raised their alcohol taxes (although I think in WA it only covers spirits and doesn't go into effect until August... stock up now!)

Primary1, 2, 3: Empty
Secondary Fermenter: Empty
Kegged: Nothing
Bottled: Ironmaster Porter, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Apfelwein, Tyler's IPA (Triple Cs IPA)
Future Plans: DC Raspberry Stout, EdWort's Robust Porter

Old 05-13-2009, 07:02 AM   #28
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosa View Post
I saw gilligan's set-up on craigslist for 14 k last week. are they out of business?
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 05-13-2009, 07:04 AM   #29
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrose View Post
I saw gilligan's set-up on craigslist for 14 k last week.
Not that I uhhh....troll craigslist for brewing supplies 24/7....

ok I do
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 05-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #30
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

This seems like a really hard way to make a little bit of money. Retailers are the ones that make the money (and not much there either) You pay rent, utilities, taxes, license, ingredients, liability and other insurance, kegs, chemicals, delivery costs and time, promotion, spoilage, equipment and repairs and who knows what else. I can't see much left over at the end of the day. It would be interesting to know what they are able to get for a keg.

If you could retail the product/open a pub or tap room, your margin would increase dramatically. A keg that wholesales for what, maybe $100, could bring in $310 at 2.50 a pint. But that would bring its own problems as well. Liquor laws are really dangerous right now for anyone who is serving the public. You would also have sales tax and different insurance concerns.

If you are interested in this I would highly advise some serious number crunching. I don't mean to be a wet blanket for anyone's dreams, but I do want to offer some words of caution and realism so decisions can be made advisedly.

Quick Reply