Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Name those hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
masterblaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Name those hops

Being a noob to home brew I can't I.D. ingredients enough to know what I like and don't like. So my method is, try a craft brew, if I like it look up a clone OR check the recipe database and if it sounds tasty, make it. This is a palette check. The Sam Adams Hopology latitude 48 and whitbeerIPA have similar tasting hops to me, any opinions if I am on the mark?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Those both have 5 or 6 varieties of hops. The only one they have in common is Simcoe. I don't think you'd be able to pick out the Simcoe amidst all the others, but it's possible.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
jonmohno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Its a good start. Ive found it easier to find out whats in my favorate beers and discovering why I liked them so much,by brewing with those certain ingredients. Ive noticed some patterns in my top favorate beers which had some similar ingredients in them. Its a good way to learn also without having to brew so many batches before discovering what you like,although that is part of the fun either it being "craft beer research" or brewing it.

Quick Reply