Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My wife thinks i'm going crazy...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #21
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 34

This happened to me a few years ago when I started surfcasting. I started slowly and and then went full bore. $400 rods, $900 and $600 reels, more equipment then you could shake a stick at. She could care less. I try and talk to her about it and I get the blank look.

It has started now with brewing. I can't do all the equipment due to lack of space so she is lucky in that respect. But with this website, reading books and searching recipes she gets the familiar far off stare. She does like my beer occasionally but she could kind of care less about the whole process although some of it she finds interesting it is not enough to sit and brew with me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #22
tinman1
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattron
You are my dopplegannger... I think we all all have problems. My wife is a Miller lite drinker. I brewed a DBIPA and she made the comment that I never brew anything she likes. I can not ferment lager so a Miller lite is out of the question so I go with a kolsh. One sip..... it us ok but I will just drink my Miller lite. Ahhhhhhhh
Try using cali lager yeast- I did an anchor steam clone on the basement floor(65-68 deg) and worked great. The recipe was a schlitz clone that turned out exceptional for a gateway beer...

Old 02-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #23
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3608 Times on 2224 Posts
Likes Given: 3117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodmokrin View Post
SO every time i try to stir up a conversation with my wife about OG, types of yeast, sparging technique etc, she stares at me with a blank look, and then proceeds to tell me she is sick of hearing about brewing, and is seriously worried about my obsession with brewing...... lol. She can't understand how i can read forums literally for hours just dreaming about brewing while not actually brewing. She has no idea why i would go and stare at Co2 bubbling through airlocks several times of day, or why now when we go to the grocery store, i have an active interest spending a great deal of time in the baking/spice sections that previously were unknown to me.

My wife really doesn't care for beer... but she does like wine. So i decided to make some homemade wine for her (if i can get her interested in the subject, my brewing budget should increase SUBSTANTIALLY =))... so that is the plan.

Its not that she really minds all the recent brewing activity, but i was thinking what a great hobby we could share together if only i could get her interested. She isn't much of a drinker at all (maybe once every couple months), so this could be tough.

Has anyone ever converted their anti-brewing wife? Or am i fighting an uphill battle?
I have the exact same situation. Fortunately, I can brew outdoors year round so I stay out of the kitchen.

I work hard during the week, I keep the lights on and the family fed, so she stays out of my obsession.

Just mention to her sometime that you are considering giving up the hobby and just sitting at the bar all night like the other guys. She'll realize the benefits quickly.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #24
Cambone
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc103 View Post
My advice: let it die.

Don't be surprised if she is also uninterested in winemaking...many people like products but not processes. I tend to get obsessed with any topic that involves food and craftsmanship (beer, wine, cheese, sausage, pizza, baguette, and the list goes on and on and on). My wife enjoys the results but only tolerates the journey, the learning, the process, the execution.

At first I couldn't understand how someone could NOT be interested in such fascinating topics. Then I met some model train enthusiasts. They can have their hobby all to themselves. I will enjoy observing the fruits of their labors for 45 minutes a year with my train-obsessed son.

I hope train folk get as big of a buzz from trains as I do from converting my gas grill into a brick oven. But if a friend wanted to talk about trains every time we got together, I'd be polite but steer the conversation in a different direction. If his solution was, like yours, to find a related activity I might enjoy more, say RC Cars, I would do my best to accommodate him, but chances are slim I would develop a new obsession.
This is one of the most intelligent responses I've ever seen on HBT. Bravo.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #25
Frankiesurf

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Apparently she pays attention occasionally. I just added the DME and was waiting to come back to boil when she NEEDED something done at that exact moment. Of course when I turn my back the BK boils over. She starts freaking out, I clean it up within 30 seconds. She says" You really do need one of those outside brewing setups"

Maybe there is hope for a better set-up yet.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #26
Mattyc88
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
SO every time i try to stir up a conversation with my wife about OG, types of yeast, sparging technique etc, she stares at me with a blank look, and then proceeds to tell me she is sick of hearing about brewing, and is seriously worried about my obsession with brewing...... lol. She can't understand how i can read forums literally for hours just dreaming about brewing while not actually brewing. She has no idea why i would go and stare at Co2 bubbling through airlocks several times of day, or why now when we go to the grocery store, i have an active interest spending a great deal of time in the baking/spice sections that previously were unknown to me.

My wife really doesn't care for beer... but she does like wine. So i decided to make some homemade wine for her (if i can get her interested in the subject, my brewing budget should increase SUBSTANTIALLY =))... so that is the plan.

Its not that she really minds all the recent brewing activity, but i was thinking what a great hobby we could share together if only i could get her interested. She isn't much of a drinker at all (maybe once every couple months), so this could be tough.

Has anyone ever converted their anti-brewing wife? Or am i fighting an uphill battle?
I'm sorry to hear this. My girlfriend of 4 years after I brewed a couple batches, started using my equipment and brewing her own beers.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #27
Chesterbelloc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

It's sounds like you have the fire of a convert yourself.

Tell her not to worry; that your enthusiasm will subside gradually.

Men do things like this... rush in! and then rush out! and then lay back exhausted.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #28
nattron
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1

Try using cali lager yeast- I did an anchor steam clone on the basement floor(65-68 deg) and worked great. The recipe was a schlitz clone that turned out exceptional for a gateway beer...
Thanks for the idea

Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #29
IanPC
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankiesurf
Apparently she pays attention occasionally. I just added the DME and was waiting to come back to boil when she NEEDED something done at that exact moment. Of course when I turn my back the BK boils over. She starts freaking out, I clean it up within 30 seconds. She says" You really do need one of those outside brewing setups"

Maybe there is hope for a better set-up yet.
That's what I'm hoping for. My wife is extremely passive aggressive so every time I've brewed I'm "needed" for something. Mind you, it's always mundane.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #30
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2199 Times on 1915 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

This whole thing makes me think of an old Ace Frehley song. To paraphrase;
My woman thinks I'm crazy,she hates the things I do.
I'm stupid & I'm lazy...man if she only knew!
How home brew,will set the world on fire...
Sounds like she may come around slowly. My wife did,over the space of a couple months. By the time our state tax refund came in,she asked to go to the LHBS with me,as usual. We got there,& she insisted on going in with me.
Now that's a happy surprise for any man! I was looking up my list of stuff needed,& she started perusing the fresh batch of BB kits that had just came in. The rest is history.

Quick Reply