The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My weizenbock didnt attenuate all the way!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
klamz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy007 View Post
I don't see anything suggesting how long this was in the primary fermenter (1 week, 2 weeks??). I just bottled a weizenbock myself (primary for 13 days, then bottled), though I pitched directly onto the yeast cake of a previously brewed dunkelweizen. OG was 1.080, FG 1.016, so I had proper attenuation with mine. Sounds like not oxygenating hurt your attenuation to me. 1.072 is in the middle of the style (1.064-1.080+), so that shouldn't be a concern, but your FG of 1.023 is just outside the listed (1.016-1.022). Becausee of this, I might back off the priming solution just a tad (I used 4.8 oz of table sugar as primer for 2.8 volumes of C02). If this is a straight 5 gal batch, backing off .2-.4 oz should get you the volumes you need with whatever primer you use. Hope this helps.

p.s. I fermented at ~70 for the entire fermentation, if that also helps (Wyeast 3068 was my yeast of choice).
It's been in the primary for 10 days but activity stops at day 6. The krausen dropped and i have been trying to rouse the yeast every so often. Thanks for the advice

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
BigBlueDog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So, White Labs states that this strain requires more oxygen, so you likely under-aerated; plus, maybe fermented on the cool side. Those factors should be easy enough to control for next time.

But maybe you've heard some of this before...

Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
klamz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueDog View Post
So, White Labs states that this strain requires more oxygen, so you likely under-aerated; plus, maybe fermented on the cool side. Those factors should be easy enough to control for next time.

Im at the website now. Where does Whitelabs say this for this particular strain? Do you have a link?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
klamz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueDog View Post

Nevermind, I found it in the FAQs.

Thanks!!!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamz View Post
Looks like I am getting much better responses here
Ya, you're right must've been my not mentioning the fact you did not aerate the wort

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #16
klamz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Ya, you're right must've been my not mentioning the fact you did not aerate the wort
It's not that I didnt like your answer it was the fact that I got so little responses. I dont base the answer on 1 person's opinion so I look for repeated similiar solutions before considering it could be the cause of the problem. Besides.....more people visit the General forum anyway

thanks for your help.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamz

It's not that I didnt like your answer it was the fact that I got so little responses. I dont base the answer on 1 person's opinion so I look for repeated similiar solutions before considering it could be the cause of the problem. Besides.....more people visit the General forum anyway

thanks for your help.
No worries and in the end I'm glad you got your answer. It's just forum etiquette to not create duplicate posts throughout a forum.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
highgravitybacon Likes This 

Quick Reply