New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My weizenbock didnt attenuate all the way!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
klamz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My weizenbock didnt attenuate all the way!

I brewed a weizenbock with an OG of 1.072(was supposed to be 1.082)
I pitched a 3 liter starter which should have been enough for 1.082 so techinically I over pitched a tad. However, I heard a recommendation to under aerate to get more ester production from this yeast. So What I did was just dump the batch into the fermenter without shaking it. I normally shake it real well after the yeast is pitched. After the fermentation started it began to blow the airlock off so i changed to a blow off tube. After fermentation was completed I noticed an alarming amount of yeast that blew off into the small container of starsan.

My question is could my 70% attenuation from 1.072 to 1.023 be the cause of the amount of yeast i lost and/or the under areation? This yeast was supposed to attenuate to 80% as per the WLP380 statistics yet I only got 70% and that was using a mash of 150f!

Any suggestions or thoughts on this? Should I worry about overcarbonating during the bottle conditioning stage??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts

This was all grain, I take it?

The malt from your dark grains do not attenuate as much.

Did you take that into your calculations?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Oxygen was probably one of the big factors- after boiling, your wort has almost no oxygen in it. By shaking the carboy to oxygenate, you are under oxygenating, so you should have at least done that. The only way to properly oxygenate your wort (to 8ppm oxygen) is with pure O2 and a stone.

Your recipe may also be a factor: what's in your beer? Your FG is at the high end for style, but not ridiculous. I'm sure it's tasty anyway. How long has it been fermenting, and did you transfer off the yeast already? I'd say let it sit, warm it up, and rouse up the yeast to see if you can get another few points off of it.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I'm opening up!

twitter.com/twokidsbrewing .. facebook.com/twokidsbrewing .. twokidsbrewing.com

Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
klamz
Recipes 

It tastes excellent. I'm Just concerned that I lost control at some point. The recipe is:

7.5lbs Wheat
1.5lb Munich 10L
4 lb pilsner
5.5oz Melodnoiden
.5 Special B
5.5oz Pale chocolate

Mash 150F

it's been in the primary for more than a week now so I havent racked it secondary and I dont plan on it

Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
klamz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
This was all grain, I take it?

The malt from your dark grains do not attenuate as much.

Did you take that into your calculations?
7.5lbs Wheat
1.5lb Munich 10L
4 lb pilsner
5.5oz Melodnoiden
.5 Special B
5.5oz Pale chocolate

Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
BigBlueDog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What were your fermentation temps? That's also a potential factor to consider.

The White Labs website indicates attenuation for WLP380 as between 73 and 80%. The two questions appearing in the FAQ for the strain relate to attenuation issues, and the answers seem to cover the points already mentioned - wort, oxygen, temp, loss of yeast to blow-off - but nothing particularly definitive in terms of answers.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
klamz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueDog View Post
What were your fermentation temps? That's also a potential factor to consider.

The White Labs website indicates attenuation for WLP380 as between 73 and 80%. The two questions appearing in the FAQ for the strain relate to attenuation issues, and the answers seem to cover the points already mentioned - wort, oxygen, temp, loss of yeast to blow-off - but nothing particularly definitive in terms of answers.
Initial pitch temp was 64f. It fermented at 65f for the first few days then i slowly increased to 70f over the course of the remaining fermentation.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
frankieboy007
Recipes 

I don't see anything suggesting how long this was in the primary fermenter (1 week, 2 weeks??). I just bottled a weizenbock myself (primary for 13 days, then bottled), though I pitched directly onto the yeast cake of a previously brewed dunkelweizen. OG was 1.080, FG 1.016, so I had proper attenuation with mine. Sounds like not oxygenating hurt your attenuation to me. 1.072 is in the middle of the style (1.064-1.080+), so that shouldn't be a concern, but your FG of 1.023 is just outside the listed (1.016-1.022). Becausee of this, I might back off the priming solution just a tad (I used 4.8 oz of table sugar as primer for 2.8 volumes of C02). If this is a straight 5 gal batch, backing off .2-.4 oz should get you the volumes you need with whatever primer you use. Hope this helps.

p.s. I fermented at ~70 for the entire fermentation, if that also helps (Wyeast 3068 was my yeast of choice).

Old 10-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Funny, you didn't like the previous thread you started?

http://http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/my-weizenbock-didnt-attenuate-all-way-357634/

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
klamz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Looks like I am getting much better responses here

Quick Reply