Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My sweet baby pellicle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
EinGutesBier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My sweet baby pellicle

Some of you may have read my other thread about a botched Saison I'm experiencing. Today the odor had changed from "unique" to raunchy. I think the taste is even starting to get affected. For those who have that sick desire to watch a train wreck, here's a portrait of my slick, white little baby. I had another, better picture but my camera ate it.

Suffice it to say I'm pretty steamed that it ended up like this. I can't even harvest the yeast because it's cross-contaminated with brett or something. Personally, I blame myself for letting it sit and condition so long after fermentation. The high fermentation temperature is probably not to blame, so that leaves me with the theory of letting it sit too long with no CO2 blowing out. Maybe it's a design flaw with the Minibrew fermenter - my sanitation was no better and no worse than usual.

So, I guess I should dump this 8 gallons of crap water, eh? I'm not sure if there's any hope of redemption for this one.

Last edited by EinGutesBier; 05-13-2008 at 02:46 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 03:07 AM   #2
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Ride it out man.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 05-13-2008, 03:12 AM   #3
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
Ride it out man.
Will do. It's about all I can do - no way I'm dumping 8 gallons. : / It'll be the third week of fermentation/conditioning this Sunday. Do you think there's a chance this will ever "clear up" or maybe fade? I just want to know if I should bottle as scheduled or let it sit longer.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:27 AM   #4
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I have 4 starters in the fridge, which I hope to spontaneously ferment in the hope that I can create a phlambic. I am expecting disaster and hoping for a pleasant surprise.

Beer is a happy accident.

A brett infection might make it an awsome beer or not.

Sit on it if you can, or rack off into a more managable size. Don't bottle until you're a believer.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 05-13-2008, 04:05 AM   #5
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

seek comfort in knowing nothing can grow in a fermented beer that can harm you...maybe make you nauseated but thats it. If the gravity changed enough to where its over 5% then your good. Personally i always ferment in a glass carboy with a good seal if i know its going to be for a long period. The brew buckets arnt completly airtight and thus i was never comfortable for long standing fermentations in them. Havent had an infected batch in either however. Knock on wood

Old 05-13-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
If the gravity changed enough to where its over 5% then your good.
What I don't understand is that there should've been about 6% in there by the time this started taking hold.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:46 AM   #7
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinGutesBier View Post
What I don't understand is that there should've been about 6% in there by the time this started taking hold.
I think he means past the kill you point(once you're past 5% nothing harmful can grow/live), I have an intentional pellicle on an ~11 ABV beer right now, and some strains of Brett supposedly can live in up to an 18% ABV environment. It can 'take hold' at much higher ABV %'s.
BTW, that's a bad pic, but are you sure its not just unsettled yeast/krausen/etc. ?

Last edited by landhoney; 05-13-2008 at 04:49 AM.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:04 AM   #8
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
I think he means past the kill you point(once you're past 5% nothing harmful can grow/live), I have an intentional pellicle on an ~11 ABV beer right now, and some strains of Brett supposedly can live in up to an 18% ABV environment. It can 'take hold' at much higher ABV %'s.
BTW, that's a bad pic, but are you sure its not just unsettled yeast/krausen/etc. ?
I'm pretty sure sure that it's not krausen anymore...the foam in the middle might be, but I'm pretty sure the other stuff isn't. Btw, I'm glad you responded - your insight would be much appreciated. I'll get a better picture up asap.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:12 AM   #9
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's some better pictures of the inside of the fermenter and the film developing on top. Sorry for the redundancy, but I figure one of these pictures has to be decent. In all fairness it is kind of tough to shoot inside the fermenter and get a decent pic.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

even if bret lives to 18% its still not harmfull. People used to joke that i was going to go blind by brewing my own beer (referring to the moonshining days) but nothing like that will happen with beer. Stuff may grow in it and taste shtty but your not going to die from anything growing in it is what i meant. That being said i found this guy doing a saison and his looks pretty gross too so maybe thats the way its supposed to come out?

have you tasted yours?

Quick Reply