HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My son is going to ruin my pale ale

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #21
joeybeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I was on the way to the grocery tonight and the wife called and sounded worried, and broke it to me that my 2yr old had pulled the airlock off a fermenter.. I told her to just stick it on the table and I'll fix it when I get home.. I can't blame him for messing with it though, I used to stare at the damn things for hours . - Also, I only use water in my airlocks..never had a problem.

Kegged :
15 gallons of Yellow Bucket Light
~1 gallon of Little Miss Muffet Cider

Fermenter :
12 gallons of Under Pressure Brown Ale
5 gallons of Dead Guyish IPA for a competition

Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 04:06 AM   #22
RTKBA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtotten View Post
RTKBA - he was referring to vodka in the airlock.
I understand that. Do you and the others that posted on here saying it is not a big deal realize that it only takes a few ounces of alcohol to cause alcohol poisoning in a child that age? I did a quick google search and found a case of a 6 month baby who died with a BAC of .205. The medical examiner said that it was caused by the baby consuming 1-1.5 ounces of 80 proof spirits. The mother is now in prison.

I just do not understand how hard it is to keep the fermenter in a room the child does not have access to.

I will always fondly remember the days of mall security, the expressions on the thankful patrons you saved from certain molestation in the mall bathrooms. The look of pain in the drooling face of the shoplifter you just choke-holded to unconciousness

Old 02-28-2011, 04:14 AM   #23
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The amount of vodka in an airlock that would spill out is negligible.. do you guys who are bashing the OP have kids? Othe than locking them in the closet there is NO WAY to keep em out of everything all the time. All you can do is the best you can do .. My grandson pulled the airlock off of my blond ale and tossed a cheezit into the fermenting beer. It was no found for a few hours. ( we replaced the airlock just didn't notice the cheezit) ber was fine after removing the offending cracker... It was dubbed "cheddar blond".

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 02-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #24
Weizenwerks
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes I have a small child at home. He has zero access to my beer and my firearms. Period. It's called responsibility. There is no excuse.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:40 AM   #25
ChandlerBang
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTKBA View Post
I understand that. Do you and the others that posted on here saying it is not a big deal realize that it only takes a few ounces of alcohol to cause alcohol poisoning in a child that age? I did a quick google search and found a case of a 6 month baby who died with a BAC of .205. The medical examiner said that it was caused by the baby consuming 1-1.5 ounces of 80 proof spirits. The mother is now in prison.

I just do not understand how hard it is to keep the fermenter in a room the child does not have access to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weizenwerks View Post
Yes I have a small child at home. He has zero access to my beer and my firearms. Period. It's called responsibility. There is no excuse.

No, we aren't being judgmental at all. A one year old doing a shot and a half of 80 proof vodka? I doubt it. He would freak out and start crying when the first drop hit his tongue. Not to mention I doubt he's using that good of vodka for the airlock. I don't. I found it to be an amusing story, as I assumed that he was a reasonable and responsible parent and I prefer to read the story as it was intended instead of jumping immediately to conclusions about how terrible he must be at child rearing.

I'm not sorry for the rant. Should I take the loaded 9mm out of the diaper bag?

Old 02-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #26
RTKBA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weizenwerks View Post
exactly, while a child will get into everything they have access to it is the parents responsibility to ensure they do not have access to potentially harmful items.

ohiosteve, you say the amount is negligible meaning it is not enough to worry about. While i have never measured how much goes into an air lock I am sure it is at least 1.5 ounces which I have already explained is enough to cause a fatal BAC of 0.205 in a six month old. According to the CDC there is an average 5 pound difference between a 6 month old and 12 month old. therefore the effects of alcohol would be almost identical.

I am not saying that it would definitely result in death, but there is a chance and at the very least the child will become intoxicated. If you believe that a child especially a one year old should be exposed to alcohol and it is not a big deal then you are obviously not psychologically mature enough to be responsible for the well being of a child.

There is no excuse for a child having access to even the smallest amounts of alcohol.

I will always fondly remember the days of mall security, the expressions on the thankful patrons you saved from certain molestation in the mall bathrooms. The look of pain in the drooling face of the shoplifter you just choke-holded to unconciousness

Weizenwerks Likes This 
Old 02-28-2011, 04:58 AM   #27
robtotten
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I agree. A good rule of thumb is one ounce of beer per year of age.

if god wanted us to drink beer, she would have given us stomachs

Old 02-28-2011, 05:04 AM   #28
RTKBA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaite37 View Post
A one year old doing a shot and a half of 80 proof vodka? I doubt it.

I'm not sorry for the rant. Should I take the loaded 9mm out of the diaper bag?
I am not saying it is likely but it is possible. It is funny you bring up firearms. As I am sure many people can tell by my name (Right To Keep and bear Arms) I have numerous firearms in my home and guess what no child has access to them. If I posted saying that my one year old was playing with my holstered handgun i would be crucified on here. The chances of a child figuring out how to remove the gun from a retention holster (some adults cant figure it out) removing the safety then firing the weapon is slim, but that is a chance no one should take. It is the same with alcohol there is a chance it could kill a child so why take that chance? It is as simple as placing the bucket in a room or even placing it on a table.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #29
JoeBronco
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtotten View Post
I agree. A good rule of thumb is one ounce of beer per year of age.
For those of us over 21 years old... Yikes...

Overprotective parents normally have kids that end up being "over experimental" when they get older and hit college. Its unanimous that all my friends with overprotective parents ended up over the top drunks or drug addicts...

Moderation is key. Kids will be kids. Regulate actions dont coddle.

On Deck ______________ Tasty's Brown (Brown with NB)
1st Primary ____________ Sour Pliny
Kegged________________ Sangio.Port Wine
Bottle Ageing __________ Giddy Gremlin, RyIIIPAWhiskey Vanilla Porter (Bottled 4-20)

SILVER - BABO - "Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter"
SILVER - Celebrewtion - "Bourbon Vanilla Porter"
GOLD - BABO - "Hoptop"
SILVER - BABO - "Screaming Cream"
Honorable Mention: (x2) Giddy Gremlin RyIIpa (x1) Pliny The Mexican

Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #30
biochemedic

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 20

OK...I just measured the absolute maximum volume that an S-shaped airlock could hold without pulling a siphon on the downside....it barely half-filled a shot glass. So for the record, a 1 year old couldn't reach the theoretical 1.5 oz that RTKBA is worried about.

Chill, people...it's funny...the toddler is fascinated by the bubbling airlock...he rubbed his hands in the vodka that spilled...it won't be any worse for him than the first time he finds dog poop at the park...

And FWIW, I can't believe no one has jumped on one of the earlier statements about Star San...definitely safe to ingest in small amounts when mixed to proper sanitizing strength. I use Star San in all my airlocks, and I usually use it to mix up my kids' KoolAid too....jus kidding!!!

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Closed Thread

Quick Reply