Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My search of kegs
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #41
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,318
Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We've been over this countless times here. This is not true as a blanket statement. I know for a 100% fact that it is perfectly legal to keep a keg in NYS for the deposit price. As a matter of fact, my local distributor just started selling kegs to homebrewers for $30.
They are not his to sell unless he bought them from the brewery.
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #42
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,318
Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frige View Post
What a relief So Im not going to jail after all. I already had my toothbrush and sphincter shield all packed
No, but you will go to hell.

Go rent a car and see if they let you keep it because you paid a deposit.
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #43
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Stauffbier's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,124
Liked 1024 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 2726

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron,ar View Post
So, are you saying all keggles are stolen?
Not all of them. I wanted my purchase to be legit, since I don't care for thieves either. For this reason I went to a local Specs store and asked if they had damaged kegs they could legally sell me. They did, and they sold me one for $30.00 with a reciept.
__________________
Bier war sein letztes wort dann trugen ihn die Englein fort...

Stauffbier is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #44
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Airborneguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Isle of Staten
Posts: 10,856
Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
They are not his to sell unless he bought them from the brewery.
Read my prior posts. NY law says that when a packaged product is sold, so is the package it comes in. I've researched and confirmed this through more than one source. The deposit is merely a civil arrangement agreed upon to offer incentive to return it. In NY, it is not a criminal act to keep a keg, PERIOD.
__________________
Fermentor(s):
Lagering:
Bottled: Atonement Brown Porter
Airborneguy is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #45
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Airborneguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Isle of Staten
Posts: 10,856
Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
Well, when they start charging $150 on a keg deposit in NYS we will know why.
Can't disagree with this honestly. But I'd imagine keg theft isn't really a major issue, because otherwise high deposits would be the norm.
__________________
Fermentor(s):
Lagering:
Bottled: Atonement Brown Porter
Airborneguy is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #46
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,318
Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Read my prior posts. NY law says that when a packaged product is sold, so is the package it comes in. I've researched and confirmed this through more than one source. The deposit is merely a civil arrangement agreed upon to offer incentive to return it. In NY, it is not a criminal act to keep a keg, PERIOD.
OK if you say so.
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #47
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,318
Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Can't disagree with this honestly. But I'd imagine keg theft isn't really a major issue, because otherwise high deposits would be the norm.
Around here the least deposit I know of is $100.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19562843.../#.UHm-k3S9KSM

http://www.scrap.org/ArticlesArchive.../keg_theft.htm
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #48
pohldogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: louisville, KY
Posts: 287
Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Read my prior posts. NY law says that when a packaged product is sold, so is the package it comes in. I've researched and confirmed this through more than one source. The deposit is merely a civil arrangement agreed upon to offer incentive to return it. In NY, it is not a criminal act to keep a keg, PERIOD.
Your prior post noted that you asked a prosecutor and were told that you wouldn't be prosecuted. All that means is that in NY stealing a keg is not a prosecutable offense. The fact that the brewery could initiate a civil case against you means that it is indeed against the law. You can't sue somebody for not breaking the law. By paying the deposit and promising to return the keg you've entered into a legal contract to do so, and by keeping the keg you've broken the contract and have therefore stolen it.
__________________
pohldogg is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #49
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Airborneguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Isle of Staten
Posts: 10,856
Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Default

Negative, I said it is not a crime. And your description of civil laws is not accurate by the way.

Look, argue all you want, but criminal matters vary from state to state and even between localities. Trust me, I know a thing or two about criminal law... BUT, to be sure, I still ran it by my friend and he assured me that the package is legally transferred with the product here in NY, so any deposit is merely a contractual (ie civil) arrangement and not criminally enforceable.

__________________
Fermentor(s):
Lagering:
Bottled: Atonement Brown Porter
Airborneguy is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #50
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Airborneguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Isle of Staten
Posts: 10,856
Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I haven't purchased a keg in a long time, but I'm pretty sure that they have raised the deposit here also. Next time I'm at my distributor ill ask.
__________________
Fermentor(s):
Lagering:
Bottled: Atonement Brown Porter
Airborneguy is offline
 
Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google search vs HBT search JPKDetroit General Beer Discussion 10 01-24-2014 09:00 PM
Search help bowhuntah General Beer Discussion 2 01-07-2012 05:39 PM
I fail at search Frankfurtvr4 General Beer Discussion 15 11-10-2010 08:18 PM
Search? HOP-HEAD General Beer Discussion 1 02-14-2009 02:58 PM
Keg Search StoutattheDevil General Beer Discussion 5 10-17-2008 07:49 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS