Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My search of kegs
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Frige
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default My search of kegs

This has been a interesting journey. I needed 3 kegs for my 3 tier. So I started looking on craigslist and found most folks want as much as the deposit price. Then success! A guy had 2 for 50 bucks each. After contacting him he said to meet him late at night in a deserted parking lot. Hmmm. So I arrive in the parking lot and no one there, called the guy and he is right around the corner. 30 minutes later he gets the with another guy for back up and only has one keg. But it is brand new so I pay him and he hauls butt.

2nd keg.
He wants 80 for it and I had to drive for 20 miles to get to his house, when I got there it was a old coors keg that was so beat up it would not even sit straight. I asked what about the one in the ad and he says no you cant have that one it still has beer in it. And then gets pissed when I wont take the junk one.

2nd keg part 2
A guy meets me on the side of the freeway and circles the lot checking me out, jumps out trades money for the keg and squeals the tire leaving. Brand new keg.

3rd keg
Back to meeting in the dark again. Behind a resturant, this time at least he is waiting there for me. Keg has a couple of dents but ok.

Is it me or does this feel like I am buying automatic weapons from the mafia? Are kegs a controlled substance? Well now thats over I can concentrate on making beer. I just hope the the cia doesnt have me on satellite surveillance now.

Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I hear there's a huge undercover operation going on in Tomball, TX.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 219 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frige
This has been a interesting journey. I needed 3 kegs for my 3 tier. So I started looking on craigslist and found most folks want as much as the deposit price. Then success! A guy had 2 for 50 bucks each. After contacting him he said to meet him late at night in a deserted parking lot. Hmmm. So I arrive in the parking lot and no one there, called the guy and he is right around the corner. 30 minutes later he gets the with another guy for back up and only has one keg. But it is brand new so I pay him and he hauls butt.

2nd keg.
He wants 80 for it and I had to drive for 20 miles to get to his house, when I got there it was a old coors keg that was so beat up it would not even sit straight. I asked what about the one in the ad and he says no you cant have that one it still has beer in it. And then gets pissed when I wont take the junk one.

2nd keg part 2
A guy meets me on the side of the freeway and circles the lot checking me out, jumps out trades money for the keg and squeals the tire leaving. Brand new keg.

3rd keg
Back to meeting in the dark again. Behind a resturant, this time at least he is waiting there for me. Keg has a couple of dents but ok.

Is it me or does this feel like I am buying automatic weapons from the mafia? Are kegs a controlled substance? Well now thats over I can concentrate on making beer. I just hope the the cia doesnt have me on satellite surveillance now.
Two things:

1. Where the hell do you live?

2. Those kegs are most likely "hot," illegally being sold.

Cheers!

Old 10-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
overpunch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

They were probably stolen...

Old 10-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not real smart posting about buying stolen kegs. Better hope the local brewery doesn't check in here

Old 10-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Frige
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No one said they were stolen. In fact they all said they paid for them.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpunch
They were probably stolen...
Haha...probably is an understatement.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
dmbriske
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frige View Post
No one said they were stolen. In fact they all said they paid for them.
I know I'm new here and all, but FWIW, a guy unwilling to sell a keg because there's still beer in it almost 100% means it's stolen, and it is no less of a crime to buy stolen property that you don't know is stolen over if you did know it was... it's still receiving and concealing stolen property... Ask how I know... Best bet is to 1) keep it quiet and to yourself, or (more honestly and legally) 2) check and see if they are stolen, and be prepared to lose them.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

pssss, hey buddy, yeah you. wanna buy a keg?
Go to Third and Vine at midnight, there's a payphone there. when it rings answer it, my backup will give you instructions for what parking lot to go to.

come alone , bring cash. OF course they are legit, why do you ask ?

Old 10-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frige View Post
This has been a interesting journey. I needed 3 kegs for my 3 tier. So I started looking on craigslist and found most folks want as much as the deposit price.
Paying a deposit and keeping the keg is stealing. The deposit is an incentive to return the keg. Paying it in no way covers the cost of the keg, nor is it a legit purchase. This sort of stuff is what gives home brewing a bad rep. Acquire your equipment properly or keep it to yourself.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply