Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > my O.G. is kinda low any way to up my final abv?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #11
Gartywood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

ABV is not the only stat for homemade beer. In fact my home brewery all of the "patrons" judge the product on taste. I'd leave it be. Sub 5% beers are especially great for the summer when it's hot and you tend to drink em fast.

You need to know what you're going for if you want to have predictable results. Use beer calculus at hopville.com to calculate the stats of your recipes so that you can know what to expect.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 03:45 AM   #12
pm5k00
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 37

You can add table sugar, corn sugar, dme, ect... at anytime, doesn't mater if fermentation has been going for 24 hours or four days, the yeast will take care of it. I use table sugar in trippels, golden strongs, IPAs, and IIPAs with very good results. I recommend keeping it to 15% or less of your fermentables, although you can go upto 20% if you had a higher OG to begin with. Boil some water, add sugar, cool to 70ish, add to your fermenter, and give it a gentle swirl.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #13
Genjin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Was this a partial boil? OG readings are notoriously unreliable when topping up with water due to improper mixing.

If it were me, I would follow Garty's advice and just go with it. You may end up with a wonderfully sessionable IPA. Then again, most of my beers start out between 1.035 and 1.050 so I am definitely biased toward quaffers.

Quick Reply