Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My New Years Celebration ! ! !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
thantos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default My New Years Celebration ! ! !

Hey all,
I just thought I would share my New Years celebration and ask for some help in return!

So the evening started with a not so quick trip to BevMo, they were packed! Here is what I picked up!

North Coast - Brother Thelonious
Chimay Ale - Grande Reserve (Blue)
Blue Moon - Grand Cru
Sierra Nevada - Estate 2009

On the way back me and the wife stopped at our favorite Sushi place, and with our Shushi and Sake we opened the Chimay Grande Reserve. I was completely blown away ! ! ! This might just be the most amazing beer I have ever had ! ! !

Here is where I need some help. I want to try and clone this in the worst way, so far I have been unable to find any recipes or info on even where to start! Can someone help me out. I would like to start with a simple extract/partial mash recipe to keep the cost down as I will brew this allot till I get it tweeked to where I like then go AG with it.

Thanks in advance....

P.S. I also tried the Blue Moon Grand Cru when we got home, it really did not live up to the hype for me! It actually went the opposite from what I was expecting, it tended to be a very bitter almost sour version of the regular Blue Moon, yet with out the Zesty Orange and Spice I love so much.

Tonight I will break out the Brother Thelonious and the Sierra Estate and give them a go!

"I love the Devil, Cause the Devil is Rock n Roll ! ! !"

Reason: Picture would not show

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Ravenhead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check Phil Markowski's Brew Like A Monk. I seem to remember that there is some talk about the various Chimay beers. Not specific recipes per se but good info on how to formulate. I really enjoyed the book itself and have totally been meaning to buy it but so many other things have gotten in the way.

So that's where I'd start.

goodluck

Todd

Old 01-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3207 Times on 3109 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenhead View Post
Check Phil Markowski's Brew Like A Monk. I seem to remember that there is some talk about the various Chimay beers. Not specific recipes per se but good info on how to formulate. I really enjoyed the book itself and have totally been meaning to buy it but so many other things have gotten in the way.

So that's where I'd start.

goodluck

Todd
Great advice, except Brew Like a Monk was written by Stan Hieronymus.

Markowski wrote the Farmhouse Ales book.

Quick Reply