Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My new favorite beer style

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #21
HopPhish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just brewed a CDA this weekend and even though I'm from jersey I'm choosing to call it a CDA. I see it as kind of the porter vs stout argument, if the brewer calls it a Black IPA, its a black IPA. If he calls it a Cascadian Dark Ale, it's a Cascadian Dark Ale.

It's definately become one of my favorite styles though no matter what it is called.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #22
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannPM View Post
Why do so many people hate this acronym CDA? Honestly, someone fill me in here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaperload View Post
I have no idea DannPM. I'm curious also.
People dislike the name "Cascadian Dark Ale" because it erroneously implies that the style originated in the Pacific Northwest. It is accepted that the style was first brewed in Kentucky, so "KDA" would make more sense.

I'm in the "who gives a damn" camp with it comes to these things, but I call it "India Black Ale" because that's what the BJCP style guidelines call it. I don't use quirky regional replacements for beer names like "wee-heavy" or "doppelbock" either. "India Black Ale" respects the origin of the beer style (an offshoot of IPA) and isn't conflicted like "Black IPA" which pits "black" against "pale" in the same style.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 11-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #23
cjb
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
I'm in the "who gives a damn" camp with it comes to these things, but I call it "India Black Ale" because that's what the BJCP style guidelines call it.
Where did you see this? As far as I can tell, the BJCP guidelines don't call it anything. There's no category for CDA, IBA, Black IPA or whatever else you want to call it in the 2008 guidelines, the most recent official release.

The Brewers Association guidelines, on the other hand, are now calling it "American Style Black Ale"...which seems about as generic and non-descriptive as possible so as not to offend anyone on either side of the argument.

I'll keep calling it CDA, as that's what it's called at most of my local brewpubs.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #24
Tim_Kreitz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
A CDA doesn't exist. It is a Black IPA.
Since we're picking nits, I'll disagree. Technically, "Black India Pale Ale" is a contradiction in terms. If it's black, it cannot be pale. The correct term would simply be "IBA" or "India Black Ale".
On Draft: Amarillo Brillo Honey Blonde Ale
On Draft: Cherry Christmas Session Ale

Quick Reply