Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My letter to PicoBrew
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2014, 02:06 AM   #11
festbier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 9
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

That's why I said that the only taste unique to home brewed beer is that of freshness, as long as everything is done the right way, like keeping fermentation/sparge temps in range, maintaining proper cleaning and sanitation, etc. Which, by the way, a limitation of the PicoBrew system is that the "brewer" will still have to control ferm. temps, so in theory one could develop off flavors with this system if they don't know what they're doing.

These days with excellent ingredients available to us, we can easily make beer that is better than what you can buy; I find that many new brewers jump into home brewing without fully researching the hobby. They are the ones that typically get the bad batches. I always recommend for new brewers to read "How to Brew" and "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" before ever thinking about firing up the burner. Thats what I did and I have never had a bad batch. However, about two summers ago, I was one of those that jumped into...winemaking. I went and picked a ton of wild local grapes (in Texas), went through this long complicated process. I didn't know what I was doing. After fermenting a while, it was so acidic that it could have cleaned a battery post. It got dumped after a couple of attempts to correct it. Next time, I'll do a little more research on winemaking.

But I agree, the whole spin on home brewed taste is just a marketing ploy by these guys.

__________________
festbier is offline
copyright1997 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 12:26 AM   #12
festbier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 9
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

And here is their reply:


Hi Brian,

I am also a homebrewer who began brewing in 1998. I have had many successes and failures so I know where you’re coming from.
The Zymatic® is closer to an automated sculpture or RIMS system. It just looks different as it utilizes a corny keg as the main vessel for holding mash water, wort and finished beer.
By using the recipe crafter, the brewer can program in mash steps. You can do a single infusion or multiple step mashing. I rebrewed my light lager on the machine and those particular rests are 120, 140, 158 and 168. Each at varying times, 20 minutes, 120 minutes, 15 minutes and 15 minutes.
It’s up to the brewer to program any advanced mashing or boiling schedule, otherwise you get my recipes with what I feel works best – they’re in the recipe library but even those can be changed by the brewer. You can share with any other PicoBrewer owner from recipes they create and share in the library. There are ratings you can give beer and forums to congratulate or bitch with each other. I arrive at these through brewing mine and other homebrewers and professional brewers recipes over and over again. I can tell you that I am pretty picky with my recipes.
Efficiency differs with each brewer but I have been getting mid 70’s. Some brews even higher with a special efficiency mash created by resident food scientist/physicist/founder, Jim Mitchell. It’s been my job here to brew – and I brew all of the styles.
If parts wear out, there is an established parts department. The machine also comes with a warranty.

The Zymatic is just another brewing tool for the newbie or established homebrew to add to their arsenal. The same goes for professional brewers – we have some in Seattle that use it for brewing prototypes for new beers. Fremont Brewing is one. White Labs Yeast also has a Zymatic in which they use for producing wort for testing yeast strains.

I don’t know about the “homebrew taste” comment – I missed that one. Fermentation is under the control of the brewer and you know as well as I that you can have the best tasting wort possible and mess it up by under-pitching or uncontrolled fermentation temps.

If you’re ever in Seattle – please stop in for a visit! We can brew a batch.

Eventually there will be a webcast of the Zymatic and I hope you can tune in to that for even more information. Catch my brewing Network appearance on the Session from March 10 where we reviewed some of the Zymatic beers with Tasty and the Gang. http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/1068

If you have more questions, send me more.


Cheers!

Annie


Annie Johnson
Brewmaster

__________________
festbier is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 01:51 AM   #13
insanim8er
Registered User
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 1,644
Liked 337 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

I'm in Seattle all the time. I should go brew a batch with him next time.

Not sure what I'd do... Maybe hit a button?

__________________
insanim8er is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 02:03 AM   #14
brettg20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 694
Liked 83 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

I think this kind of defeats the whole purpose of brewing beer IMO. Yes you create the beer but you really didn't create the beer. I'd rather have my setup and actually brew the beer than use this thing even if it were given to me.

__________________
brettg20 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 02:05 AM   #15
insanim8er
Registered User
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 1,644
Liked 337 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettg20 View Post
I think this kind of defeats the whole purpose of brewing beer IMO. Yes you create the beer but you really didn't create the beer. I'd rather have my setup and actually brew the beer than use this thing even if it were given to me.
What? next you'll tell me you don't like microwaves and boxed TV dinners!
__________________
insanim8er is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 02:09 AM   #16
brettg20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 694
Liked 83 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanim8er View Post
What? next you'll tell me you don't like microwaves and boxed TV dinners!
I don't claim to have made the food when I microwave a TV dinner, that's the difference. Just because I microwaved a Steak dinner doesn't mean I grilled it myself.
__________________
brettg20 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 03:15 AM   #17
FarmerTed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FarmerTed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 459
Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettg20 View Post
I don't claim to have made the food when I microwave a TV dinner, that's the difference. Just because I microwaved a Steak dinner doesn't mean I grilled it myself.
Yeah, but if it tastes better when you microwave than when you grill it, which method are you going to use more often?
__________________
FarmerTed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 03:51 AM   #18
Thetonymartin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: , Utah
Posts: 89
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by festbier View Post
And here is their reply:





Hi Brian,



I am also a homebrewer who began brewing in 1998. I have had many successes and failures so I know where you’re coming from.

The Zymatic® is closer to an automated sculpture or RIMS system. It just looks different as it utilizes a corny keg as the main vessel for holding mash water, wort and finished beer.

By using the recipe crafter, the brewer can program in mash steps. You can do a single infusion or multiple step mashing. I rebrewed my light lager on the machine and those particular rests are 120, 140, 158 and 168. Each at varying times, 20 minutes, 120 minutes, 15 minutes and 15 minutes.

It’s up to the brewer to program any advanced mashing or boiling schedule, otherwise you get my recipes with what I feel works best – they’re in the recipe library but even those can be changed by the brewer. You can share with any other PicoBrewer owner from recipes they create and share in the library. There are ratings you can give beer and forums to congratulate or bitch with each other. I arrive at these through brewing mine and other homebrewers and professional brewers recipes over and over again. I can tell you that I am pretty picky with my recipes.

Efficiency differs with each brewer but I have been getting mid 70’s. Some brews even higher with a special efficiency mash created by resident food scientist/physicist/founder, Jim Mitchell. It’s been my job here to brew – and I brew all of the styles.

If parts wear out, there is an established parts department. The machine also comes with a warranty.



The Zymatic is just another brewing tool for the newbie or established homebrew to add to their arsenal. The same goes for professional brewers – we have some in Seattle that use it for brewing prototypes for new beers. Fremont Brewing is one. White Labs Yeast also has a Zymatic in which they use for producing wort for testing yeast strains.



I don’t know about the “homebrew taste” comment – I missed that one. Fermentation is under the control of the brewer and you know as well as I that you can have the best tasting wort possible and mess it up by under-pitching or uncontrolled fermentation temps.



If you’re ever in Seattle – please stop in for a visit! We can brew a batch.



Eventually there will be a webcast of the Zymatic and I hope you can tune in to that for even more information. Catch my brewing Network appearance on the Session from March 10 where we reviewed some of the Zymatic beers with Tasty and the Gang. http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/1068



If you have more questions, send me more.





Cheers!



Annie





Annie Johnson

Brewmaster


I listened to the episode of "The Sunday (Monday) Session" that Annie was on. She is very passionate about the quality of her brews. It was a good episode.


I
__________________

Sometimes you've gotta do what you don't want to do, to get what you want to get.

Thetonymartin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 AM   #19
brettg20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 694
Liked 83 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTed View Post
Yeah, but if it tastes better when you microwave than when you grill it, which method are you going to use more often?
Why not just buy microbrew? I would rather grill a steak in my backyard with friends than go to a steakhouse. The steakhouse may taste better, but doesn't give me the same satisfaction.

If you want to brew beer by pushing a button go for it, it's just not for me. My brews are solid enough that I would never consider buying this thing.
__________________
brettg20 is offline
RD400F Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2014, 04:09 AM   #20
northcal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central valley, CA
Posts: 300
Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Looks like cool engineering, but I don't see how it will pitch the yeast or control fermentation temps? Does it have a compressor in it too or what?

Maybe it doesn't and the video on their site is just kind of "simplifying" the process?

__________________
northcal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PicoBrew Zymatic anthropod Automated Brewing Forum 305 Today 02:29 AM
Zymatic Picobrew trigger_andy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 03-21-2014 11:01 PM
PicoBrew raceskier Equipment/Sanitation 16 03-16-2014 06:47 PM
Anyone Try picoBrew E-BIAB? cbzdel Electric Brewing 6 01-27-2014 10:06 PM
PicoBrew Veidog General Beer Discussion 1 10-03-2013 02:36 AM