Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > My Founders Brewing Co Story

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #31
MisterTipsy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by caber2615 View Post
Don't forget though, I didn't ask for the recipe...All I asked was where in the process they add the cashews...nothing more.

You asked for the most important part of the recipe and then you threw a hissy fit when they wouldn't give it to you. This is a classic case of false sense of entitlement.

Just because some breweries give details about their recipes doesn't mean everyone should. In fact, many of the best craft breweries won't give details such as, New Glarus, Three Floyds, Victory, Founders and many more.

Breweries don't owe the homebrewing community anything.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #32
E-Mursed
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebbielm12 View Post
Kuhnhenn's gold medal winning DRIPA tastes suspiciously like Pliny.

Had one the other day and it was AWESOME!!!

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Old 08-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #33
caber2615
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTipsy View Post
You asked for the most important part of the recipe and then you threw a hissy fit when they wouldn't give it to you. This is a classic case of false sense of entitlement.

Just because some breweries give details about their recipes doesn't mean everyone should. In fact, many of the best craft breweries won't give details such as, New Glarus, Three Floyds, Victory, Founders and many more.

Breweries don't owe the homebrewing community anything.
Just for the record, its not like I went in there stomping my feet and whining like a 13 year old girl...just expected a less canned more human response to my questions, even if they couldnt or didnt want to answer them.

You are right though, they dont owe us a thing. Business is business, and sharing any part of a recipie or a process can compromise it. Just means I will have to spend more time on the boards asking all you experts questions instead of trying the breweries first.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #34
Sithdad
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I can understand them not wanting to give out the info. Stone Brewing will give out everything you need to brew all of their beers except Arrogant Bastard. On C"Can You Brew It" with Jamil Z. they have the head brewer from Stone on when they attempt to clone AB and all is says, "I can't tell you". I asked a local brew pub if they would give me the recipe for their porter and the email I got gave me the ingredients list and the ratios for each grain, but no specific weights for anything. Then he wished me luck and I took it upon myself to try and clone it. I was able to do it in 2 attempts.

Because there are so many similar beers out there when you come across a recipe that is unique you want to hold onto it for as long as you can. That's why there are patent laws.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #35
lewybrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would spin this differently. Use Twitter. Start by including them in a tweet. "I love this .......... beer @foundersbrewing" Then, if you have room in the tweet ask about the process, "Wonder when they add the nuts" Or whatever you would like to ask. It puts the brewery in a public forum and any response is open to all their followers. They will understand that you are a superfan and want to understand the process. I've even sent direct messages to breweries about my clone attempts, I almost always get a response of some sort.

Emailing a question is closed between you and them only. Remember, they might get 15 to 30 emails a day about the recipe all from people trying to take business away from them. (in their minds)

Twitter @lewybrewing

Proud BNArmy and QUAFF member

Old 08-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #36
MisterTipsy
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Screw that. Show up at the brewery packing heat and demand some answers!!!

Old 08-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #37
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
They are in the production business and if they told everyone how to make their product then they wouldn't be in business.
This made me lol

Interesting - I've emailed Founders several times and each time I've received a "non-canned" answer, most of the time from a brewer. Just on these forums alone, you can find their recipes for Red's Rye PA, Founders Porter, and Centennial IPA. I wonder what has changed of late - maybe they just been overwhelmed with recipe related emails.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #38
caber2615
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I thought you would all like to see the response I recieved from my follow up with Founders. Even though they did not provide me with too much additional information, at least my questions were acknowledged and some actual information given.

Ryan, Thanks for your support of Founders. The cashews are added during fermentation, not during the brew. Our yeast strain is proprietary. Cheers! Brad Stevenson | Vice President of Operations

Old 08-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #39
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Boom. Mash-nutted like I thought. Not dry nutted at all.

What? You dirty people. Psh.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 08-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #40
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Boom. Mash-nutted like I thought. Not dry nutted at all.

What? You dirty people. Psh.
If I'm reading the brewer's email right, I think you have that backwards, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply